B&W Sub settings

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Stellavision, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Now I have my new sub I'd like to pick the brain of past and present owners of the B&W ASW-675 if I may.
    The sub has two EQ settings. A, which is supposedly optimized for home cinema use and generally louder.
    B, producing lower extension and tighter bass, supposedly better for a music setup.
    I've tried both and so far I've not identified any dramatic differences, but something is saying to me that the B setting would be the better option, not A as the manual suggests.
    Past and present owners, which did you find gave the ideal movie setting?

2. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Not a huge amount of diff between the two but there is a difference nonetheless. I over time have come to prefer B and have left it there.

3. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi Stella
    A for me this setting seemed to have more punch but different rooms require different settings.I also had the sub firing diagonally across the room this made a big differance to having the sub just firing forwards to the opposite wall.
    Cheers Gonzo.

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,029
    Hi guys what is your opinion on this sub as in the next few months i will be in the market for a new sub and this one has really caught my eye as it is not a complete monster and it looks good :blush: . I will be upgrading from my kef sub that i got with the eggs so i am sure that i will get a vast improvement but for the money and size has it been a good deal. The size of my room is about 13ft by 11ft with wooden floor, thanks.

5. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    It is an excellent sub, particularly for it's size.
    It has a 10" driver with a 500 watt amp and the thing is incredibly powerful. It has got a pretty good low extension although not as powerful down low, say sub 30hz, as larger subs.
    As I said in my earlier thread, it does'nt have the huge monster bass of the SVS, but I think this is probably the most powerful sub of it's size on the market. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.
    It looks good too.:D
    Gets my thumbs up:smashin:

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Agree with stellavision a great performing little sub will be like a breathe of fresh air compared to the kef sub.
    Cheers Gonzo.:)

7. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    As an extra note, B&W also seem to provide good customer service.
    I emailed their tech team with a simple queery an hour ago and have just received a reply.
    I sent 3 emails to Mission when I had Mission subs and to this day have never received a reply.

8. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,029
    Cheers guys thanks for the feedback, i am pretty sold on this sub and you have just convinced me further. It has good reviews and it looks sooo good. I also (well my girlfriend) like the fact that it will not take over the room as it is quite a manageable size.

9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,029
    Guys thanks for your help above i managed to cut a deal with a local hifi shop and got this at a very good price. I havent tried it for movies yet as i am awaiting the arrival of my pj but for music the sattelites and sub now sound excellent.
    It has definitely breathed life into the system and i have far more mid band and obviously deeper base. The kef eggs seemed to have come alive with the arrival of this sub, strange but true.
    Will let you know how it is for movies with the eggs once my pj arrives and is set up, thanks again