B&W Sub question - Is it too big???

jester

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

A simple question from the clueless :confused:

I have a dedicated A/V room in prep at the the mo which when finished will be aprox 7.5' x 15'

My speakers are a combination of B&W Nautilus 800 & Signature series. I still need the sub to finish it all off though. Question is, should I go for an ASW 855 or will it be too much for such a relatively small room and should I therefore go for the 825 instead? If so is there much of a drop in quality or is it just about clout?!?

Any advice would be appreciated :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Jester

:lease:

Please anybody. I Just wanna know if an ASW 850 or above will be too overpowering for the size of my room?

Thanks.

There is no such thing as too powerful, you can always turn it down. On the other hand, if you buy a sub that's 'just right', and you decide to turn it up a notch, or another scenario, move to a bigger room, and you find out that it isn't powerful enough, then you'll be sorry you didn't pay the extra and got the bigger model.

I use a B&W 850 in a room of not disimilar proportions and can confirm that it stunning - fast, deep, totally unstressed and constantly surprising. I expect the replacement 855 to be even better. Make sure that you also audition the wonderful velodyne Digital Drive 12 and 15 as alternatives at a similar price point.

I'd just echo what Pat has said....I used an ASW850 in a small room and it did a sterling job:)

jester said:
Hi,

A simple question from the clueless :confused:

I have a dedicated A/V room in prep at the the mo which when finished will be aprox 7.5' x 15'

My speakers are a combination of B&W Nautilus 800 & Signature series. I still need the sub to finish it all off though. Question is, should I go for an ASW 855 or will it be too much for such a relatively small room and should I therefore go for the 825 instead? If so is there much of a drop in quality or is it just about clout?!?

Any advice would be appreciated :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Jester

Are you really using Nautilus 800's in a room that size?.....if so,you may find you don't need a sub at all,but if they're smaller models like the N805 or similar,then obviously a decent sub,with good headroom,like the ASW850 would be perfect,as well as matching your other speakers in appearance.

I'm using a B&W 850 and a Servo 15 in a smallish room (9' x 22') with very good results. So I wouldn't worry about the sub being too powerful.

Definitly consider the Velodyne DD series as they are extremly powerful subs and i have 1 DD12 at the moment and was thinking about adding another 1 but it is that good that i am questioning whether i really need it.. :)

Thanks for all your help and input fellas, I now have better knowledge on which to base my purchase. :smashin:

I will definately be seeking to audition the Velodyne DD series before I make up my mind though but at least I now know I can safely leave the ASW 800/825 option behiend!!! :D

I use a DD15 in a room of only 12'X15'. It is not overpowering but the headroom is there if I need it. Also a consideration is that subs are not always more expensive just because of how powerful they are. There is the matter of depth and actual quality of sound not acheived so easily by cheaper subs.

dunno how it would match up sonically but the REL Strata 5 is a lovely musical sub and would be fine in a room that size, i use it in a 14 x 18 room and its still not stressed out........(in fact i think i once had it setup in my parents thru-lounge which is 16 x 40 and it still kicked out a thump with movies and reached beautiful low notes in music....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom