1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Zig, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have CC6 S2 centre and 602 S2 fronts. As my cinema room moves closer to completion I am looking to replace the Mission 700's (sold to help finance the new speakers) used for side and rears with something from the B&W range.
    My room is approx 18' long x 10' wide and I was thinking that the DS6's would be nice for the sides with perhaps the 600 S3's as rears.
    Due to the expense of this set-up I was toying with the idea of using 600's as sides in place of the DS6's and would appriciate any thoughts on this compromise.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The DS6 has been discontunued for some time now.

I would use 2 pairs of 601's for both the side and rear speakers, it will give you a nice even sound.

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't the DS6s have a high frequency limit of 8000KHz or sommit similar, they were built for the old Pro Logic rear soundfield which was limited so for digital soundtracks it's not really suited. I might be wrong though.

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Apocalypse: Correct you are. It is limited to around 80hz-8khz mainly because it does not have ant proper tweeters, only bass and 2 mid's.

5. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replys. I would really prefer to use dipoles for the surrounds, is there any other suitable speakers I could use instead?

6. martin

martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently using the DS6 surround speakers and i can't fault them in either dd or dts. They create a much wider sound field and make it alot better for people not sitting in the "sweet spot" plus the effects don't seem to shout at you from over your shoulder but just seem to come from behind you. When i bought my pair I couldn't seem to get them anywhere as everyone said they were being discontinued. A quick call to B&W customer services confirmed them being discontinued,but only in BLACK. They said they would still be making them in a primer colour so you can paint them to match your walls. They said you can also get the same version but "IN WALL" type that mount flush. It might be worth a call to B&W.

7. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is anybody else using the DS6 to good effect with DD and DTS?
    My room width really means a monopole would be in your face in my opinion (for the sides) although the B&W 600 might be small enough to get away with. I am hoping to demo/purchase something at Manchester this weekend and would appriciate any suggestions as to what to consider.

8. martin

martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you are wrong! The speakers in question are THX certified and come with instuctions of instalation for a dolby digital setup. Advising you to place the speakers in the correct position for 5.1. ZIG I would suggest going for some type of dipole in your situation as i am extemely happy with my set up. so much in fact that i was going to convert to 6.1 but with my limited room dimensions( no space behind seating position) I decided to go for better 5.1 ,so I went and got me a YAMAHA DSPA1. There are other manerfacturers out there that make dipoles for 5.1( mission/m&k/eltax/) I have heared the Mission 77ds and they dont sound too bad , but not quite as well sounded as the B&W DS6( in my opinion, having more bass and richer sound not to mention alot clearer. the mission's sounded restricted by their plastic cases. If you want GOOD then go for the M&K's they are just about the best i've heard!

9. Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The DS6's are limited in what frequency they can reproduce,
    However it's limit is not overly severe,

'Frequency Response : 85hz - 8khz +/-3db'
    'Frequency Range : 63db -12.5khz at -6db'
    (Averaged over the front hemisphere)

They should still be a good addition to your system (after all THX Ultra 2 still recommends dipoles for sides in all but the biggest setups), and if you are sitting very close to them thier high frequency roll-off may be a good thing for both your comfort and thier diffusion (less localisation).

Paul.

10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    I have CC6 S2 centre, 602 S2 fronts and 601 S2 rears. I use them with a Yamaha SW90 sub.

I like to match speakers so the tone is the same and they work well together with the sub.