B&W Speaker started to vibrate / rattle

chrisyboy007

Standard Member
Hi All,

I have a pair of B&W 600's - really lovely speakers and have had no trouble with them until recently when one of them has developed a vibration / rattle which is distorting the sound...

Has anyone had an experiance similar to this, does it sound repairable? There is no visable damage to the cones they have just been sat on a shelf.

Would appreciate anyones thoughts on possible repair solutions...

Thanks

delto95

Hi All,

I have a pair of B&W 600's - really lovely speakers and have had no trouble with them until recently when one of them has developed a vibration / rattle which is distorting the sound...

Has anyone had an experiance similar to this, does it sound repairable? There is no visable damage to the cones they have just been sat on a shelf.

Would appreciate anyones thoughts on possible repair solutions...

Thanks

Strange, I have 600's myself in one of my rooms, but haven't had this yet. I do not play them very loud mind you. Maybe you can check whther all the screws are still solid and none of them have maybe loosened. If not, put your ear close to the speaker when it shows this behaviour and try and find out from where in the speaker it's coming... POst back here and maybe we can help...

chrisyboy007

Standard Member
Strange, I have 600's myself in one of my rooms, but haven't had this yet. I do not play them very loud mind you. Maybe you can check whther all the screws are still solid and none of them have maybe loosened. If not, put your ear close to the speaker when it shows this behaviour and try and find out from where in the speaker it's coming... POst back here and maybe we can help...

Thanks for the swift reply delto, in answer to your question it seems like the vibration is coming from the cone itself, if you very lightly touch the cone the vibration stops. Cant stress enough once more how nice these speakers are, my mate has the same pair and has had no problems so i wouldnt be worried, think maybe its just one of those things...

trailer

Could well be the cone has gone.

If they are still under warranty then definitely take them down to a dealer for a check. If they aren't I'd still take them down for them to check for you. Phone up first an arrange an appointment. Take them both down. If ones gone there's a good chance the other might be on its way too.

Plus it's better to get both the cones replaced at the same time rather than just one if theyre oldish.

spuddler

Hi,have you tried,swapping the speakers over.Just to check it is actually a fault in the one speaker(& not getting some feed back or whatever from one channel of the amp).

Cheers BOB

its not just one of them things either the speaker or amp has developed a fault. As Spudler said try swapping the speakers to rule out a problem with the amp. If it is the speaker try and lightly push the cone in to see if its scraping and if so its the cone for sure. If not then it still sounds like a problem with the mina driver which can be replaced for a reasonable price and imo would be certainly worth it.

Thanks

AdamPV

I bought a pair of Castle Severn Mk1's from eBay which had a 'blown' speaker. Upon closer inspection (driver out), it seemed the diaphragm at the back of the cone had become loose from the chassis. After some research it seems this isn't uncommon and despite some people telling me 'it can't be repaired' I managed to repair it (despite being rather inept normally).

If you discover this is the problem please get in touch and I'll give you details on the repair.

chrisyboy007

Standard Member
Thanks all for the posts you have made. I can confirm that i have tried swapping the speakers over and to no avail. Im going to drop them in to my local seven oaks dealer for them to take a look. Shall keep you all posted!
Thanks
Chris

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom