1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W speaker question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dan110, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Dan110

Dan110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went into my local superfi today and demo'd the kef eggs, which I thought were reasonably good, didn't blow me away but they were good. Anyway to cut a long story short the sales guy got me listening to B&W 602.5 floorstanders, LCR60 centre speaker and Mission M7DS rears. Very nice sounding setup, much prefered them over the eggs but the bass was lacking a little, so should I:-

1) Pay the extra money and buy the 603s (however this might then overpower the lcr60 centre and push me to buy the lcr600)

or

2) Buy a rel q150e which a friend has offered me for £325 and add this to setup I demo'd.

FYI, the room is only small 13ft x 9ft.

Thanks

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Personally, I´d stick with the B&W/Mission combo but add a Velodyne CHT10 (available for 325 quid in the Power Buys Forum).

BUT, in an absolute ideal world I´d also have some of the smaller B&W speakers as surround speakers instead of the Missions so you have complete tonal matching front and rear.:)

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't know the LCR centre but it shouldn't be overpowered as it will be set to small so the bass will be diverted to the main left and right speakers if you don't have a sub.

If you want a sub (and they are advisable for maximum enjoyment of movies) I would go with Jase's suggestion.

4. Dan110

Dan110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been reading good things about the CHT10, may contact uncle eric about one if they are superior tp the rel q150e. Thought about adding B&W 600s as rears but am a bit pushed for space and need wall mounted speakers that are reasonably flat to the wall. Salesman told me the missions work well with most other speakers on the market. What do you think then, should I get a demo with some 600s as rears?

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    I would have a demo, at least then you´ll have heard them and can choose between the two.

6. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Hi Dan,

I demoed the kef eggs, and the B&W set up. I didn't rate the eggs, they did sound good, but didn't seem to have the presence of the B&W's (maybe I just don't like sub/sat systems :D ).

I've got B&W 602.5s3 l&r, LCR60s3 centre, and 601s3 surrounds (the 600's weren't available when I bought my set up last year). I also listed to the 603's, but decided not to bother as I thought they would be wasted when I added a sub. I didn't get a sub when I bought my system, as i decided to put the extra cash into a better receiver (Denon 3802).

Did you try the 602's, they sound completely different to the .5's, and have larger drivers for a little more bass, it took me ages to decide between the two.

My room is about the same size as yours, and even without a sub, the systems still kicks, although a sub is on my shopping list, as are a pair of 600's for use as surround backs.

I would definately recommend the B&W's, & either the REL or a Jase says, the CHT 10 which a £325 is a bargain.

Hope this helps

7. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    I have the 603s3's with the LCR60 being powered by a Denon A1SR. The smaller centre is not overpowered unless you had a very large room (which you don't).

I also have the 600 rears which are corking little speakers and, most importantly for me, wall mountable. I would certainly still recommend a sub for that nice amount of 'wobble' :)

8. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 602's up front, 600's in the rear and an MJA Pro50 sub and I highly recommend it, like everyone else it took me ages to decide on this setup but worth it in the end. You'd be silly not to demo the Pro50 @ £299, very musical and enough depth for movies (would you believe flatish to 16Hz).

Pro50 Review

Oh and I don't use a center as I found none that could match the 602's for dialogue clarity.

9. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I demo'd the LCR60 ctr but ordered the LCR600 as I knew I would be sat looking at it thinking "wish I bought the 600" :D

I have the 603's as fronts and the 602.5's as rears I'm V pleased with them all.

Taz.:cool:

10. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had the LCR600 for a while before being forced to sell for financial reasons. It's an absolutely superb unit, equally adept at conveying whispered dialogue with great clarity as it is at tearing right through your spleen when things get a bit more "yippee-ka-yay". :D

I am sure it worth paying a premium for over the 60, even in a small room. Looks gorgeous too.

11. sashie

sashie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do apologize if this has nothing to do with the said mentioned above. But i`m new to the treads. I have just purchased a pair of B&W dm2 series II speakers second hand . I have been looking for some more information on these (specs. prices , ect ) but i`m unable to come up with anything as of yet . Does anyone know anything about these said speakers or know any web sites that may or maynot help me out on this matter ?

many thanks sasha :confused:

12. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    A quick search through google.

Here is the manual
    http://www.bwspeakers.com/downloadFile/speakermodel/DONE_-DM2_MK2_manual.pdf

13. sashie

sashie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: SORRY TO BE SUCH A PAIN ( I BLAME IT ON BEING FEMALE AND BLONDE ) , DONT SPOSE ANYONE , KNOWS WHAT PRICE THE DM2 SERIES 2 WERE IN THERE TIME ?, AND HOW MUCH THE 2ND HAND MARKET PRICE IS NOW ADAYS?

:oops: SORRY ONCE AGAIN , AND MANY THANKS

LUV SASH