1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W small vs large setting

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by NB2121, Aug 5, 2003.

1. NB2121

NB2121
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have a pair of B7Ws 604S3 along with a LCR600S3, two rears DS6(THX) and a Velodyne CT120 sub pluged in a Rotel 3ch amp RB-993 THX Ultra (LCR) and a 2ch Rotel RB971(rears) driven by a SONY VA333ES (4ES that is for US).
    I was wondering for 2 things: (a) Should i set all to small (604s can produces great bass) or large, and (b) should i use the CT120s internal xover or the SONYs one and at what freq. (I have heard that 80hz is the best).

Thanks in advance,

Nick

2. NB2121

NB2121
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone ??

3. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    I'd try either all speakers set to small, all bass to sub, crossover on the sub bypassed and set the amp crossover to 80hz OR front left and right speakers set to large, others to small, bass to both, still set the amp crossover to 80hz and try either the sub crossover ignored or set to around 50hz. You may need to play about with the sub crossover setting to find where the bass blends with the mains well. :)

4. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    I know that most people recommend the small setting for the front speakers but knowing the speakers you are using I would set the front pair to large and set the bass to go to both the fronts and the sub.

If the bass gets overpowering you can use the foam bungs that come with the speakers or lower the db on the sub. I use to own B&WS2 speakers and the sound worked best that way. I suppose you have to try it both ways yourself to be certain given your room size and acoustics.

5. NB2121

NB2121
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TNX guys, I will test and let you know.

RDS

Nick

6. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Yeah, I had a similar query when setting my Mission 773e's too large or small (I keep it to large), I think it's best to keep your 604's to large as they have fantastic bass anyway, and run the sub cut-off at 80Hz. I am still experimenting with my sub set up.