B&W PV1D power retention

Owenjohnston

Novice Member
Hi, just wondering if anyone else who has / had a B&W PV1D noticed that when you switch it off at the mains, the red standby light is on for maybe 45 seconds, which seems like a long time. Is this normal?

I hadn't really queried it before now, but just recently moved house and all my same AV equipment which ran fine before now causes the RCD to trip (using 6 plugs in a 6 plug surge protected lead). Currently trying trial and error to isolate what the culprit is, but it only trips maybe once in every 5 or 6 times. My instinct was the subwoofer, since it retains power for so long after switching off, but also because it has to be in a multi-plug set up. Plugging it directly into the mains causes a really loud hum around 20-30hz which I suspect is a grounding issue?

I purchased the PV1D directly from B&W after returning a PV1 for repair. I also experienced the same humming with the PV1, however the main reason for returning it was occasionally during sudden loud moments in movies (music was fine) it would make what I can only describe as a loud pop and shut itself off. Then had to be switched off an on at the mains to restart. B&W found no fault.

Any advice/help appreciated.

Last edited:

johnburn

Hi, just wondering if anyone else who has / had a B&W PV1D noticed that when you switch it off at the mains, the red standby light is on for maybe 45 seconds, which seems like a long time. Is this normal?

I hadn't really queried it before now, but just recently moved house and all my same AV equipment which ran fine before now causes the RCD to trip (using 6 plugs in a 6 plug surge protected lead). Currently trying trial and error to isolate what the culprit is, but it only trips maybe once in every 5 or 6 times. My instinct was the subwoofer, since it retains power for so long after switching off, but also because it has to be in a multi-plug set up. Plugging it directly into the mains causes a really loud hum around 20-30hz which I suspect is a grounding issue?

I purchased the PV1D directly from B&W after returning a PV1 for repair. I also experienced the same humming with the PV1, however the main reason for returning it was occasionally during sudden loud moments in movies (music was fine) it would make what I can only describe as a loud pop and shut itself off. Then had to be switched off an on at the mains to restart. B&W found no fault.

Any advice/help appreciated.
Haven’t owned one of these for about 3 or 4 years now but yes, i recall mine retained some power after disconnecting from the mains for a good while from memory.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom