1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W PV1

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Nick Beecham, May 28, 2004.

1. Nick Beecham

Nick Beecham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Has anyone had the chance yet to hear what the B&W PV1 sounds like?

Cheers
    Nick

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,221
    Only very briefly at the Munich show- not an ideal enviroment but still showed a lot of talent. Looks bloodly lovely in the metal as well. A bit smaller than I thought it was as well.

3. Nick Beecham

Nick Beecham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks.

4. frozendexter

frozendexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I interested in this little sexy sub, B&W say its going to be available mid july!

5. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I am also intrigued with this compact looking sub. Being a past owner of an ASW675 and a present owner of the ASW750 I emailed B&W last night asking for their thoughts and comparisons on the PV1.

In true good B&W service I received an email back today saying:

"Many thanks for your email enquiry regarding the new PV1 active subwoofer.

We are pleased to hear you are happy with your ASW750 subwoofer.

It is worth bearing in mind that the PV1 subwoofer contains 2 x 8" drivers, compared to the ASW750 with one 12" driver, with the two 8" drivers working together they can provide a truly breathtaking performance from its compact enclosure.

The PV1 is available from July at a retail cost of £950.00.

A visit to your local retailer for a demonstration could leave you pleasantly surprised with its performance"

6. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bare in mind though that one 12" driver still has 12.5% greater cone area than two 8" drivers working together and hence with the same excursion will move more air.

I'm sure many will be "pleasanty surprised" by its performance, but I shouldnt think it will rival the ASW750 Barrie, even using long throw 8" drivers.

Kev

7. jonbar

jonbar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - I've just got one. I didn't bother listening to it in the shop, because subs are so dependent on main speakers and the room, but I had been toying with the idea for some weeks so just took the plunge. The retailer - Sevenoaks in Swindon - let me take it home to try, and it took less than an hour to decide it was going to stay.

I'm very impressed. Using the LFE channel, all that was required was setting the volume level to the mid-point detent, and it worked great with the rest of my system. Considerable improvement on the REL Quake I was using before, real deep base one can feel, but without being in any way bloated or OTT.

I'm still experimenting - have only used it on the LFE channel so far, but want to try hanging off the front speakers with the special cable.

If it suits your requirements - the appeal for me was low colouration for stereo & multichannel audio sources, plus matching the appearance of my other speakers - then try one. Just be careful when moving it about, because it's heavy, and not easy to handle securely due to the shape.

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    It's a ball, roll it :D

Good job on the sub mate, whereabouts are you? I wouldn't mind having a listen if you are open to demos :)