B&W PV1 vs Rel R305 - especially for music?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by doctorjuggles, May 3, 2007.

1. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    My trusty and beloved B&W ASW675 is on its way out to make way for a sub with the additional feature of speaker inputs for my stereo system. The choice has been narrowed down to these two subs. I know you can get more for your money in the sub world, but size constraints mean these are pretty much the choices I'm left with (the sub has to be under 400mm high.)

Now the ASW675 does a great job with movies, and I'm not looking for anything more earthshaking than that little beast, but seeing as I'm buying the next sub with music in mind, I'd like to canvass opinion on people's thoughts about the B&W PV1 and the new Rel R305 and their respective abilities with music.
    Bass doesn't need to be ear shattering and innard moving, but I need it to reach down, (hopefully as low as the ASW675,) but most inportantly I also want it to be musical. And by that, I mean I don't want one note bass that thunders along. I love bass, but I prefer the quick, rapid-firing, agile type of bass to the slower bass that dishes out more impact. Basically, if I unplug my speakers and leave just the bass running, I'd like to hear a tune still playing, rather than a series of dull and monotone thuds.

Which of these two is likely to give me that best, in our esteemed forum members opinions?

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
  3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    The REL R305 is likely to be the better performer for music. I have comapred both in the store and the PV1 just does not cut the mustard for musci use.

4. trailer

trailer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Have a look (listen?) at the BK Subs too.

5. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29

Already looked at that, can't see how that hooks up to a stereo amp. The Rel and the B&W both come with a cable that plugs into the back and goes straight to the sub. The stereo amp will be connected this way, while the AV Receiver will connect through the single RCA .1/LFE cable. The sub is situated 5 metres from the two amplifiers, so long runs of 2phono/speaker cable are a no-go. I might be wrong because I don't know much about the SVS, but I can't see a simple speaker connection on it, which is why I've ignored the SVS.

The only BK which fits in the room is the XLS200, which I also can't find a speaker in jack on, and which is also too much of a step down from my ASW675. I'm not looking to take a step backwards, I'm just trying to integrate two systems with one subwoofer.

Crusty, thanks for the comments. What is it about the PV1 you disliked, please and, conversely, what is it about the R305 which shone through?

Thanks for the comments, all.

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    I found the PV1 very "one-note" sounding in comparison to the REL. Neither of them performed poorly, but the PV1 definitely suits home cinema use more than as a dedicated music sub-bass system.

My advice would be to get a demo of them both. Also worth listening to is any of the REL ST series which have just been discontinued. This range is by far the best from REL at music reproduction, I am deeply saddened they no longer produce this range except for the Reference models, the Stentor and Studio. There are probably some great ex-demo deals to be had on the Stampede and Strata 5.

7. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks, Crusty. Might head towards SSAV in Ealing to check the two out. The Rels you mentioned are, unfortunately, slightly too high for the area it needs to fit in. But I appreciate the info and opinion on the PV1 and R305.