B&W PV1 Subwoofer - Guide for repair - help

pietrusboy

Standard Member
Hi! I bought some days ago a PV1 subwoofer just for spare parts... (already have one on my cinema setup and could be a backup for a new driver/amp parts).
When I received it, it was in better condition than I thought... So, I was thinking about opening it and explore if it can be fixed...
Can you please give some advice about how to open it? Any online guide or repair manual available?
I've already tried to remove most of the screws but I still cannot separate the 2 halves...

It doesn't make sound... the standby LED become "green" but I just hear a clicking noise... like 2-3times a second...

Any help would be very welcome!

Many thanks!

pietrusboy

Standard Member
Some pics (screws already removed...)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    601.4 KB · Views: 2,394
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    652.6 KB · Views: 1,733
  • image(1).jpeg
    image(1).jpeg
    548.5 KB · Views: 1,844

spyder viewer

Motor-boating: might just be a capacitor gone down.

pietrusboy

Standard Member
Thanks... but do you know how to open the two halves? I don't know if it's factory "sealed" or something like that...

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
From what I had been told, the original PV1 was a non repairable item due to its construction and couldn't be taken apart - this changed with the PV1D that followed. How true that is though, I don't know.

mostexcellent

Novice Member
Hi! I bought some days ago a PV1 subwoofer just for spare parts... (already have one on my cinema setup and could be a backup for a new driver/amp parts).
When I received it, it was in better condition than I thought... So, I was thinking about opening it and explore if it can be fixed...
Can you please give some advice about how to open it? Any online guide or repair manual available?
I've already tried to remove most of the screws but I still cannot separate the 2 halves...

It doesn't make sound... the standby LED become "green" but I just hear a clicking noise... like 2-3times a second...

Many thanks!

Hi there - Did you find anything out regarding possible repair or cause of "clicking" - My PV! has just performed the same trick!

Thanks

mostexcellent

Novice Member
No... still waiting for repair...:confused:
Hi - you won't believe my luck, the cause of my PV1 "ticking"....was the self fused power extn block! How strange, but simply by switching this unit off/on, cleared the problem...my PS3 was also behaving very peculiarly also, but now also fixed! Hope you have similar luck...

AndreHofte

Novice Member

Many thanks!
Hello,
I have the same problem. Don't know how to open. How did you fixed it in the end? please respond...
Ciao.
Andre

salzy

guess this issue never got resolved?

Dallibab

Novice Member
I have has the sub since 2008.(I know there are better ones out there but it is still a thing of beauty} it has Been sent off to b and w twice now
Same old clicking noise problem. When it first happened I tried to get it apart but could never separate the 2 Half's, I did manage to get out both of the speakers (each from their own sides)( after a ton of bolts) the power supply board then was manouverable enough to get out. I was hoping for a blown cap or somthing visibly burned out but couldn't find any obvious damage. 2nd time off to bowers and bloody wilkins at £180 pop. All still working at the moment but I have access to a spare with the same clicking problem.

Any ideas on what actually goes pop on these things?. I'd like to try to repair the second one I have access too. I can solder well and replace components, just don't know what I'm looking for.
Any help would be much appreciated, and I will keep all updated on progress, I'm just not sure what to test or where to start.
Any advice welcome.

Thanks

salzy

Like you said the first 2 boards come out easy enough once the speakers are out so I just went ahead and replaced all the caps on there.
The ticking noise has gone but the speaker just dont output the sound. It comes on but then goes into standby mode (red light) when it doesnt detect activity butvthe source is there so now I think im going to have to split it to get that main 3rd board out.
I am currently in discussion with B&W though arguing that they should repair these units for free being as there is clearly a common fault with them because there argument is electrical components sometimes fail but thats just random and often only happens if the item has been abused in some way. This however is a common problem due to cheap and cheerful components being used so they should be held responsible. Im not going to spend thousands on speakers just for them to fail a few years down the line. I was shockwd to see so many components Inc the main drivers with made in China stamped on there so just makes me wonder what exactly is made here in the UK being as they pride themselves in saying this is a British made brand and product

Dallibab

Novice Member
salzy any luck with the repair, or with B & W, I get what your saying if the drivers are from China, and I heard the electronics are just "bang and olufsen" which is just Phillips(Its just and amp and a powersupply), not much British made here. I tried arguing after the second failure that it must be a design or manufacturing problem, but only when I spoke to a friend that recommended the unit and he had the same problem twice also 2 other people who bought the sub based on seeing mine but it fell upon deaf ears with B & w. 180 sheets later you have your repaired sub. Until next time.. not good enough.

If I could find out what was going wrong and fix it myself I would but im not looking forward to spending out again when it inevitebly goes wrong again.( on the second return I was hoping they were going to replace it with the new model, no such luck).

salzy

No joy at all I'm afraid. I've tried arguing with B&W but they're just not interested unless I pay them to repair it but that's just not going to happen out of principle.
Sub is still on the bench as I have not had chance to split it open but once I do I'll let you guys know.

Dallibab

Novice Member
Any luck looking at the 3rd board? I still want to fix this spare I have access to. I'm not paying again.
The boards look quite simple I just don't know what components to test and replace.

Toyotacorolla

Novice Member
It is something with the internal power supply on the circut board. It's only 4 watts and you need more.

But can you try to put the subwoofers on a cool area, mine worked for a while when it was in the garage for a while. Temperature was around 5 degree celcius.

Dallibab

Novice Member
It is something with the internal power supply on the circut board. It's only 4 watts and you need more.

But can you try to put the subwoofers on a cool area, mine worked for a while when it was in the garage for a while. Temperature was around 5 degree celcius.

Do you think we could just replace the power supply? I found this thread

SOLVED: B&W PV1 Subwoofer - Fixya. Just didn't know how to implement it.
Are you handy in this area?

DanielZaratti

Novice Member
Ive seen it. But ,no I'm not sure yet, I'm still trying to figure it out.

Hi! i have opened the B&W PV1, I have analyze the power supply, my problem is: no sound, no status led light, nothing!! I have measure the voltage by the component to the diode bridge, everything good, but after there are n.2 12v relè, the +12v is not available, and.i think this is the problem.
anyone have the scheme of the power supply? :D
however my next step is going to my friend with very high skill to repair electronic board!
keep in touch I need to repair it by myself!

Attachments

• C0A6F2F2-371C-4FDC-8754-25180BDEB8DB.jpg
    C0A6F2F2-371C-4FDC-8754-25180BDEB8DB.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,453

Klipschfan

Novice Member
Hi! i have opened the B&W PV1, I have analyze the power supply, my problem is: no sound, no status led light, nothing!! I have measure the voltage by the component to the diode bridge, everything good, but after there are n.2 12v relè, the +12v is not available, and.i think this is the problem.
however my next step is going to my friend with very high skill to repair electronic board!
Hi all, I have a PV1 with a similar issue. Briefly turns on from standby mode when a signal reaches the sub from my receiver but then immediately shuts off. Have you guys worked out how to repair the +12V (4W) power supply. I saw the Braun electric razor fix on Fixya but am a little lost still without further instructions. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Dallibab

Novice Member
Daniel did you ever get anywhere with repairing the sub?

Keefykeep

Novice Member
Hi, I also have the ticking problem with the PV1 and I have managed to disassemble the unit, and I was wondering if any one here worked out how to rectify the 12V power supply problem (B&W did not want to divulge schematics or what the fix is)

Thanks

Zouzou75

Novice Member
Hi i also have a ticking noise on my pv1
The power led doesn't works i think the problem comes from the power board
IMG_20200722_214459.jpg

Any idea to repair or replace the board thanks

PS: For People Who have problem to open the frame i easily open it with a hair dryer

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...

Latest News

Philips debuts fifth generation P5 Picture Processing Suite
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Philips introduces new 9206 and 8506 LED Android TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips unveils 9636 and 9506 MiniLED TVs
  • By Andy Bassett