B&W PV1 sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bass007, Oct 21, 2004.

1. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    hi, I am sure most of you guys are aware of the new B&W PV1 SUB , its unusal shape and impressive specs, as well as reciving excellent numerous reviews i wondered if anyone owns one or perhaps heard one? Is it really as good as they say it is? compared to say a REL STRATA 5?

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bass007 i would get a dem of the sub and try to see for yourself but i am sure it will be better than the Strata 5.
    It has just won an award aswell so it cant be too bad.

BTW: There is a B&W 750 sub for sale in the classifieds section Stellavision is sellling it and i am sure it is as good if not better than the PV1 and it's cheaper

John :)

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    I was surprised to see that the PV1 uses 8" drivers. So I thought I'd see what that meant in driver area.

Though not exactly accurate I came up with the following areas for the cones of different sub drivers. The PV1 uses 2 x 8" drivers.
    I simply subtracted an inch off nominal driver diameter to get the (rough) cone diameter. It might be argued that the roll surround on larger units is wider. But they may contribute some output themselves in actual use.

Area = Pi (3.142) x radius x radius

8" -1 = 7" Diameter = 3.5" radius = 77sq.in. (For 2 drivers)

10" -1 = 9" Diameter = 4.5" radius = 63sq.inches.

12" -1 = 11" Diameter= 5.5" radius = 95sq.inches.

15" -1 = 14" Diameter=7" radius = 153 sq.inches.

18" -1 = 17" Diameter=8.5" radius = 227 sq.inches.

So the PV1's two 8" drivers fall midway between a 10" driver and a 12".

Will the guy at the back with the DD18 try not to look so smug. :devil:

A quick browse for reviews suggested that Hifi Choice liked the PV1. :)

Nimby

4. Cmoth

Cmoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Im sure based on the reviews that it will be very impressive. Again its one to listen to and make your own mind up but I have to say i would feel more inclined to get an immediate demo if the drivers were a couple of 10inch instead of 8inch.

5. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I saw the pv1 and laughed, but when i had a demo it wiped smile off my face.
    It's no asw850 but for a small life style sub it can certainly hold its own.
    I predict a bigger ball (sphere) being built soon that could produce some serious bass.
    I would say it's on par with £500 subs, and it looks good :smashin:

6. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I posted a similar question not so long ago and just had a chance to listen to it and the ASW750 side by side. The first thing to say is that each sub sounds completly different from the other. My impression of the PV1 was positive, but two things stood out. Firstly in my opinion it didn't come close to the 750 in extension in some movie scenes. Take for example Minority report (chapter 9) when the stun guns are let off in the factory. The 750 kicked you like a bad tempered mule, wheras the PV1 was like a firecracker in comparison. However having said that, in music it sounded great to me and although not as deep as the 750, nonetheless it was still impressive. The other thing to note was that rep said he had to turn up the PV1 to get the thing excersised and he had the volume set at about 2 o clock, wheras on the 750 it was set at about 9 o clock. If I had to make the choice it would be the 750 everytime over the PV1. The PV1 is okay, but I don't think it would be suited for a die-hard bass-aholic. BTW the PV1 had only been delivered the day before so was not run in. I don't whether this had anything to do with the way it sounded?