B & W PV1 or SVS PB10-ISD-B

jmbrailsford

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,
bit of advice needed, I was recommended an SVS PB10 by Ron via email from SVS when asked what would suit my new garage conversion ( 2.2m x 5m ). Now that they are available within the UK I have renewed my interest in it.

The size of the sub is important due to the size of the room, and both the subs mentioned are nice and small, however I really need/want decent bass to match satellite speakers ( missus not wanting 'real' speakers ).

I like the look of the B & W MT30 setup with the PV1 SUB, but I was wondering if the PB10 was better and if it would go with the B & W M1 satellites. I appreciate the PV1 is better powered at 500w as opposes to the PB10's 300w, but the PB10 ( £470 )has a 10" driver as opposed to the PV1's 2 8" drivers and the PV1 ( £950 ) is twice the price of the SVS sub !

I also demo'd a set of Monitor Audio Radius 90's ages ago and thought they were superb for rear effects, so that is another option.

So is it

SV PB10 plus B & W M1 Satellites - £1070
B & W MT30 with PV1 sub - £1550 not avail mail order
Sv PB10 plus MA Radius 90's and 180 centre - £1070

Help ................ :eek:

Why compare the PB10 @ £420 to the PV1 @ £950.If you are spending up to £1000 on a new sub there are others in the SVS range that will blow away the PV1 at less money.

By the way I have heard the PB10 and its a very good sub for the money

kbfern said:
Why compare the PB10 @ £420 to the PV1 @ £950.If you are spending up to £1000 on a new sub there are others in the SVS range that will blow away the PV1 at less money.

By the way I have heard the PB10 and its a very good sub for the money

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately it's a question of size, the other SV subs are just far too big for my setup and room size, although I'd be happier with one of the other SV subs like the PB12 etc, my wife isn't so convinced :(

I realise the PV1 is twice the price but is it twice the performance ?

Mike.

I doubt if the PV1 is anywhere near twice the performance,also note that av sales are doing the PB10 on intro offer @ £420.Also consider the BK monolith @ £420 available in black or other wood finishes.

Do a search for the PV1 on the forum and see if anyone has any views on it.

jmbrailsford said:
I realise the PV1 is twice the price but is it twice the performance

I haven't heard the PV1 but somehow I doubt whether it's anywhere near the performance of the PB-10 despite being twice the price

Ian J said:
I haven't heard the PV1 but somehow I doubt whether it's anywhere near the performance of the PB-10 despite being twice the price

Yeah, it sounds a rip-off to me. ;) :rolleyes:

The B&W isn't a rip off, it's a completely different sub design, not everyone wants a large box sub. B&W offer an attractive alternative with very high WAF. Because it's small, non ported they have had to use a much more powerful amp and it wouldn't suprise me if the driver is a higher spec than the PB10 too.

I think the answer is it depends..on you. Music or Movies? For some reason, I bet the B&W would sound slightly better for music (sealed design) especially if you are going for b&W speakers. I have floorstanding speakers and I went with the PB10. No regrets. The PB10 goes damn low and the bass is extremely clean.

With most life-style speaker designs you are paying for just that, a futuristic design. All those I talked to when choosing a sub said you can get much more for your money.

Another possible choice for £50 more, & which is not too big with great performance for music, & would be good with movies, but obviously not as good as a £1000 SVS, is the Rel Storm 5. Or, if the rooms not too big, a Strata 5 (slightly smaller & cheaper). These two also look nice in their wood veneers.

The Rel's are a good option if you haven't got the room for an SVS, which I originally wanted, but couldn't accomodate even the smallest of their offerings :( .

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem a lot of choice when you are looking at subs which aren't that big.

T.

you could probably get the pv1 for a bit less than £950... i got mine for £850 from audio t and i am very happy with it, i think the bass is pure/clean, tight and very fast without an aggresive growl that comes from wooden boxed designs. IMO
as the pv1s two 8" drivers only need to drive air, not the cabinet, the sound is much cleaner . . :smashin:

Nothing about performance - I've not heard either (although I like all the stuff I've read about the PV) but here's the thing. It's a ball. Ask any parent; leave a pre-schooler in a room with a ball and it's gonna get kicked.

Jeff said:
The B&W isn't a rip off, it's a completely different sub design, not everyone wants a large box sub. B&W offer an attractive alternative with very high WAF. Because it's small, non ported they have had to use a much more powerful amp and it wouldn't suprise me if the driver is a higher spec than the PB10 too.

You didn't pick up on my smileys. Beauty and value is in the eye of the beholder. I have no opinions about the B&W, I was trying to poke a bit of fun at those who think spending £150 more on a sub (SVS) is a rip-off.

:cool:

I have never heard either subs but did consider the PV when I 1st saw it. However I came to the conclusion that you are paying for the aesthetics as much as anything else and also being a bold design these things tend to date pretty quickly (IMHO) so I opted for a more conventional... but still beautiful box design.

With regard to WAF, mine actually likes the look of the PB12 Ultra and has never mentioned it's size at all. Admittedly it is somewhat tucked away but these things soon become a part of the furniture. :)

For goodness sake man, put your trousers back on and buy a bigger box, you'll certainly have more options! :rotfl:

I mean what is the worst thing she can do? :rolleyes:

AngelEyes said:

Now, there's a question :eek: :D

AngelEyes said:
For goodness sake man, put your trousers back on and buy a bigger box, you'll certainly have more options! :rotfl:

:eek: Bobbit :eek: :rolleyes:

The B and W does look lovely but it is also a good performer, most B an Ws are now. To think you are paying more just for the looks I think is the wrong assumption to take, there are also substantial technical advantages to the route they have taken. It is a good sub.

Nic Rhodes said:
The B and W does look lovely but it is also a good performer, most B an Ws are now. To think you are paying more just for the looks I think is the wrong assumption to take, there are also substantial technical advantages to the route they have taken. It is a good sub.

I certainly wouldn't disagree with you as I haven't heard it. :)

Perhaps I overstressed that part of the argument. I was initially intrigued by the design but on reflection felt it was too contempory for me. I felt a more classic look would stand the test of time.

can't beat big black square boxes :)

Ian J said:
Unless you have a big, black round cylinder :D

Unless you have a big, black, shiny box. :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom