• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

B&W pic only, when connecting 2nd tv to Sky+ box

suejaren

Standard Member
Hi, does anyone know why my bedroom TV only gives a black and white pic when I connect it to my Sky+ box via the RF2outlet?
I noticed this when I was trying to fit a TV link [magic eye]device, which did not work. [It only lit up when connected directly to the RF2 outlet] The pic is B&W with or without the TV link device, but not when the ariel is connected directly without the Sky+ box.
I wondered if it could be because the coaxial cable is not double-shielded?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Either the remote TV is not tuned correctly to the same frequency that the Sky box is outputting on - or the Sky box is outputting on a similar frequency to what one of your analoge terrestrial channels is broadcasting on.

suejaren

Standard Member
Hi Broadz
Thanks for your reply.
I have tried to fine tune the TV but it doesn't get any better than it is. The picture and the sound are perfect - just black and white!
Also my terrestial signal is so diabolical that I don't have anything but the Sky box connected, so I don't think there can be any interferrence from another channel.
I have had a suggestion that maybe the RF2 outlet on the Sky box is faulty, but have no idea how I could check that...? Any suggestions?
Thanks

MartinPickering

I have had a suggestion that maybe the RF2 outlet on the Sky box is faulty, but have no idea how I could check that...? Any suggestions?

Connect the TV downstairs to the Digibox RF1 output with a short cable.
Disconnect the Scart cable. Tune the TV in. If you get a colour picture, the Digibox modulator is fine. If this is so, bring the other TV downstairs and connect it the same way to test it.

Last edited:

suejaren

Standard Member
Hi,
I've done as you suggested and determined that the lounge TV gets a colour signal from either the RF1 and RF2 outlets, but the other TV just gets a B&W picture from both outlets.
Does that mean it must be the cable? I'd like to get my TV link to work, even if the picture is just in B&W.

I am very grateful for your help.
Thanks.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Hi,
I've done as you suggested and determined that the lounge TV gets a colour signal from either the RF1 and RF2 outlets, but the other TV just gets a B&W picture from both outlets.
Does that mean it must be the cable? I'd like to get my TV link to work, even if the picture is just in B&W.

I am very grateful for your help.
Thanks.
If you are getting a perfect B&W picture downstairs then it is the TV at fault. Have you checked the suspect TV connected downstairs - if it is still B&W then TV is either faulty or set up incorrectly (possibly set to wrong version of PAL (wrong country) in the installation settings AND if picture shows colour then cable is faulty - simple diagnosis.

My personal betting is that it is the TV or its settings. What make and model of TV?

suejaren

Standard Member
Hi Davemurgatroyd2
Thanks for your suggestions.
The TV picture is still B&W when I connect it in place of the lounge TV, so it's seems that the TV is at fault.
It is just a old style Goodmans TV/VCR which says on the back system: PAL-1. It is tuned into the same channel as my other TV [C38] and I can't find any option to change the version of PAL.
I have checked my 'TV link' device close to the RF2 outlet on the SKy box and it lights up there, but not in the other room. Do you think it's worthwhile changing the coaxial cable to hopefully get this working at least? I can live with a B&W picture if necessary!
Thanks for your help.
Sue

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
The TV picture is still B&W when I connect it in place of the lounge TV, so it's seems that the TV is at fault.

In your original post you state that when using an external aerial the picture is in colour???????????

suejaren

Standard Member
Hi, yes, my external ariel gives a colour picture, but the quality is unwatchable, so I have a freesat box and Sky+ box.
I have swapped the two TVs over as a trial...everything is now colour in the bedroom, but the TV link device still doesn't work.
However in the lounge things are in B&W whichever way I link things up, ie via scart or rf. I checked the rf inlet by a direct connection to a VCR and it shows a colour picture, however hooking the sky box directly to this socket only gives a B&W picture. I am sooooo confused!

It looks like the TV is faulty somehow, so I'll have to accept the B&W picture, but can anyone advise me what I could do to get my TV link working please?

Thanks!

suejaren

Standard Member
Hi,
A big thank you to everyone who offered their help.

I have re-made the connections and the TV link is now up and running.

The reason for the B&W picture on a colour TV remains a mystery, but at least I can control it from the other room.

I've no excuse now, not get fit, by using my rebounder [mini trampoline] while I watch my saved Sky+ programs
in the spare room! :thumbsup:

Thanks Again!
Sue

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom