Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

B&W NAUTILUS GUARANTEE - NIGHTMARE

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Amrik, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Amrik

Amrik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi ,

I just wanted to know if anybody has had ny problems with B&W speakers' aftersales service - especially with regards to the Nautilus speakers.
    I am going through a nightmare with mine and am starting to feel a complete idiot in spending around £15,000 with them for my set up!

I have never encountered such a dismal level of experience - from dealer onwards...

Watchdog - here I come!

:mad:

2. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Whats happened ?

I have Nautilus speakers but I have only dealt with their aftersales side for non serious issues which they resolved pretty quickly.

3. Amrik

Amrik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi,
    It's the veneer on one of my 805s . I am using them as rears in my set up .Over the last few years , i have noticed that there was a small bump under the veneer - near one of the drive units. This has progressively worsened over time and spread laterally and has now nearly reached the edges of cabinet. It is now visible from the other side of the room. They are calling it a "blemish" and have also even accused me of gluing one of the tweeter covers shut!!

They're now asking for £50 + for the return of the speakers...Even though they had arranged for the speakers tobe collected before 5.00pm before xmas (but that's another story).

I have told te that I am not paying the ransom demand!!! Boy am I peeved... I have spent around £15,000 on their speakers to date and feel like one heck of a sucker!

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I would phone up B&W and ask for the name of the MD or President, then write a very nice letter explaining your confusion about spending very large sums of money and receiving an unexpectedly low level of service. Dont write a long or detailed letter and keep it very nice. Senior people very rarely will see bad or serious complaints but nice letters often get through.

This means you have been reasonable and if it does not work, speak to a legal adviser or journalist or maybe Watch Dog.

5. bamber

bamber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have always found their service top notch, if a little slow. They flew over to Northern Ireland twice to carry out repairs on my Nautilus 800s and even left me a spare Marlin head and mid range driver.

Hopefully you will get this repaired FOC in the end.

6. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi amrik i have found bw service exellent when i had a problem with my cdm1nts,but i was not happy with my dealers back up and approached bw direct suggest you speak to ken jones from memory he is the main man re service the nuber i called was 01903 221700 its worth a try.

7. Amrik

Amrik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi Folks,

Thanks very much for the input. A lot of your feedbackregarding service is very similar to that that I've had from Tannoy and M&K in the past.

I think that I'll wait a few days for a reply to my email from Robert Burn (whoever he is). I'm still too peeved to speak with them directy and will contact them in a few days. I've aked for them to either repair the cabinet (obviously it's beyond economical repair) or to return my money - as per the original copy of the sales invoice that they'd insisted I send to them.

I've contacted a mate of mine who works at the BBC and I have worked for the Mirror Group of newpapers in the past, so i hope to go all the way with this.

The whole thing has left a very bad taste in my mouth - especially when I see the damn £400 stands lying minus the speakers in my living room!

8. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

If you noticed this a few years ago,why not tell them straight away?Seems odd to me to be left for such a length of time,what conditions (living) have they been in in thoes few years?.

I have a few old B&W speakers at home,which are perfect,I have found them also to be helpful,if someone told me that had a problem with a speakers finish over a few years,I would also be a bit careful,what's the guarentee period on them?

9. Amrik

Amrik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi,
    They've been in the same surroundings as all of the other nautilus cabinets.

To tell you the truth, I didn't want to be without them as I knew it would mean sending them away etc and all the associated trouble. I've just been redecorating recently and had all my system out anyway.
    I didn't really want to do anything at first, but a few other folks had noticed and commented. Once the defect reaches the edges, the veneer will peel away!

The other speaker of the pair is fine....

10. Amrik

Amrik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    ps guarantee period is 5 years - expires in over a year's time.

11. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If they are still under guarentee,and you comply to the guarantees conditions there should be no reason for them to resist.Have you told them you have spent 15k on thier speakers?I would have thought they would make 100% sure you was a happy customer when spending such a large amount on thier products.Do you have any pictures of the damage?

12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,354
    I've had problems with my new B&W ASW850; it simply wasn't sounding right and I thought there were some strange sounds coming from it (I was able to bottom out my SVS PC Ultra in my small room but no way should something like the ASW850 do that!). Discussed the problem with Ken @ B&W, who arranged collection on Tuesday of this week: today he phoned me to give a full report and stated that the sub's on it's way back to me - all sorted - and if I need anything else to give him a call.

That's what I call excellent service:) (in actual fact the issue was minor).

13. Amrik

Amrik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    SKA.face, I didn't take any pictures as I didn't thik that it woud come to this! The damage is just like a crease in the veneer - less than a centimetre across.

However, it is reassuring when I read of the good service others have got..

14. Amrik

Amrik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I CANNOT BELIEVE IT !

Just checked my email and there is a message from the same guy asking me where the bump is etc....!

I think that he needs to check the emails and initial complaint back in mid November (about 2 months ago!) .

Ever get the feeling that you're going around in circles?

15. Amrik

Amrik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    .. just got a reply back from BW from an email I'd sent last Wednesday, over the weekend and again today! I'd asked for the address of the MD . I've been given the Name and email address of the MD for UK Sales.

I've also taken advice from Watchdog and will draft a letter to them in the next few days...

16. JurgenNL

JurgenNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Don't you think it's good to keep it hot?

17. Amrik

Amrik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Yes, I concur.

I have just sent it .

Amrik