B&W M1's won't take my speaker cable

Mark Ward

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've just bought some B&W M1's on the forums with a friend in mind and have just discovered that they don't have Standard Banana Plug Unputs and won't take his heavy Russ Andrews speaker cable.

It's not a problem as I'll use them in a different room myself, but can anyone recommend a good performing, good looking sattelite that can be used with a more hefty cable?

Many thanks,

Mark.

Would spade connectors work instead?

They've not arrived yet, but from looking on the spec's pdf files online the cable is screwed to the connection points, then needs to pass through a narrow hole on the back of the speaker then down the floor mount stand so it doesn't seem so, not according to B&W anyway.

Actually... Can anyone recommend a cable that does work well with the M1's? I'll be using them now and will need to be re-cabling accordingly.

Thanks,

Mark.

I use QED micro for my surrounds and the slightly thicker QED for the fronts. You're right Mark, it does need to be a thin gauge cable, but the system does work well :)

Anthony Gallos take banana plugs so that could be an option....

It's a bit of a squeeze, but QED Silver Anniversary fits the M1 satelites without stripping the outer sheath....

Good quality small satellites that will take decent gauge bare wire and banana plugs would be the Monitor Audio Radius 90s, great little speakers.

We frequently use B&W M1's at my work, and we find that QED silver or original, is the best cable for these speakers, they don't have normal speaker terminals because they can also be mounted on the wall, with the bracket provided.

Dom

RE: Satellites that take Banana plugs

Good quality small satellites that will take decent gauge bare wire and banana plugs would be the Monitor Audio Radius 90s, great little speakers.

These look great to me, but don't think they'll really fit the "Lifestyle" feel he's trying to go for. I will pass on the info though, Thanks!

Anthony Gallos take banana plugs so that could be an option....

Could well be!

I've been thinking about this.... If he is insisting on keeping his very posh RA Speaker cables then whatever he goes for, that cable is going to have to go up the stand. I think he'll have to ditch the cables or go for a more "Lifestyle" floor stander. I can't see how he can have both?

RE Cables for the B&W M1's

I would think QED Micro would do a good job. I use it for my Mission rears and it sounds nice.

I use QED micro for my surrounds and the slightly thicker QED for the fronts. You're right Mark, it does need to be a thin gauge cable, but the system does work well :)

It's a bit of a squeeze, but QED Silver Anniversary fits the M1 satelites without stripping the outer sheath....

We frequently use B&W M1's at my work, and we find that QED silver or original, is the best cable for these speakers, they don't have normal speaker terminals because they can also be mounted on the wall, with the bracket provided.

Dom

The QED Micro or slightly thicker might be an option if these go in a different room, but having done a little more research on these babies I'm thinking about using them in the living room which is 95% Movies & TV. The Silver anniversary would be ideal for me if it will fit, and by the sounds of it, with Dom & Drac saying it does it may well be the answer.

I rang B&W and they said that Silver Anniversary XT will work, but I'd have to strip the "Air core?". I don't know what that is. When I previously had Silver Anniversary a few years back it had no "Air Core".

So I reckon I'll be trying the Silver Anniversary, but I'll waiting until the speakers come so I can understand what I'm dealing with. If I don't think I can manage it then the Micro or Slightly thicker QED may be an alternative.

One thing I need to take into consideration is the lack of flexibility with Silver Anniversary. This cable is going to have to turn 2 room corners then go up the 2 stands. The center is even more complex.

Thanks,

Mark.

I’m using QED micro silver on my M1 rears, and they sound incredible....
i think they are one of the best sounding sats in that price bracket.. (IMHO)

In fact I like the sound of these little bad boys so much i now have the same speakers/cable in my bedroom working on my old Teac 500 system...

as it happens, M1's are off the wall just now (as I’m decorating)
so I’ve just checked the termination block.
It looks like the max cabled diameter would be 3mm

Mubz

sorry to thread hijack but I have bought QED Silver Micro for my Onkyo 805 & Kef 3005 eggs....... is this cable up to the task ?

PS : moving to Australia so my new toys are being shipped as we speak (as I type)

Sorry for the late move but htis really belongs in the Cable forum.

Oh, OK...

I thought the speaker section was more relevant as the main reason I started this thread was to find some alternative speakers because the cables were staying. That's fine as he's now decided that he will have to change his speaker cables and the way the thread has turned is is definitely more cable related I guess .:)

Thanks,

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom