B&W M1 Wall mounted for music

deepbeep

Hi,

I'm looking for some smallish speakers to go in my dining room, on the wall, for music. They will be driven by my Yamaha R-N602.

Size/form factor is more important than volume and bass, but I want them to sound decent. They need to be a big step up from a portable bluetooth speaker but not expecting them to match bigger bookshelf speakers. (I have some Kef Q300 in the lounge, run from the same amp, but won't be used at the same time, I will switch between speaker A&B).

"lifestyle" speakers I think suit my needs here, the kind that are used in smaller 5.1 systems, although I am just looking at a stereo pair.

I have looked at Dali Fazon Sat (£400pr), Fazon Mikro (£250pr) and B&W M1 (£300pr).

Leaning towards getting the B&W M1 as best option, they have greater frequency response range than the Fazon Mikro, and I am not sure it's worth paying extra for the larger Fazon Sat (although I like them best aesthetically to be honest).

So, in short:
2x Wall Mounted B&W M1 for casual listening in the dining room. Does anybody have any thoughts - Will they work OK with my amp? Are there any better options for the price?

Any input appreciated -thanks.

gibbsy

No problem with them working with your amp. Along with the KEF 3005 Eggs they are probably one of the best lifestyle speakers made. For casual listening they should do the job for you.

deepbeep

I hadn't thought about the Kef Eggs. Just took a look and yes they'd also fit the bill I think. Although the frequency response is a bit narrower according to specs. They have less low end than the M1, not that eitehr is a bassy speaker obviously.

Which would you prefer, wall mounted, for some casual music listening? I'm not planning on getting a sub (never say never though lol).

Presume the eggs also OK with my amp.. they say 8ohm 10-100w.

gibbsy

In ran KEF 3005SE Eggs for a number of years and cannot complain about them as they did exactly as was said on the tin. They were fairly adequate for music. When I upgraded my front three I kept a pair of the Eggs on surround duties. Obviously there's going to be a difference between the Eggs or M1s when you compare then to a good standmount but for what you want either the 3005SE Eggs or the M1s will fulfill your needs I'm sure.

deepbeep

Well I've just bought a 2nd hand pair of kef 3005 egg satellites on ebay, and bidding on some m1s, so if I end up winning those also I can do a direct comparison.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom