1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W LCR6 S2. Should the sound be balanced across the two main cones?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GETanner, Apr 7, 2002.

1. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Hi there,

I've had my LCR6 S2 for a while now.

I've noticed that though the speaker appears to use the same cones either side of the middle tweeter, my speaker seems to generate dull sounds from one cone while the other appears to be bright in sound.

Is this normal?

I run the speaker on a Denon AVC-A10SE with the Centre Speaker set to small, using a single run of speaker cable.

I only noticed this apparent split in sound recently while dusting the speaker so i do not know if this is standard, has always been there or is a developing fault.

I do not have the speaker bi-wired.

If anybody is using an LCR6 S2 as a centre speaker, could they stick an ear to each cone and see if one sounds "duller" than the other please?

Many thanks,

Guy

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't have this speaker but no centre speaker should behave like this as the left and right cones should sound identical.

I am little concerned at your dusting activities but that will do for another thread.

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The LCR's are a 2.5 way design. That means one of the Kevlar drivers is a mid/bass and the other only bass. It's sounds right.

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Here is your answer - a quote from the B&W site regarding the LCR6S2 (I've highlighted the key bit):

"The LCR6 S2 is a 2½-way vented-box speaker, with magnetic shielding. It has two 6½-inch woven Kevlar® cone drivers, one dedicated to bass frequencies only, and a 1-inch aluminium dome tweeter."

Okay?

5. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As ReTrO says, thats right, you should be looking at a 6db difference between the drivers (with the port bung in)

On my LCR 600 I have the exact same thing and both ReTro (who I bought from) and B&W said thats right.

Taz.:cool:

6. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Something else interesting (from "Home Theatre" magazine, June 2001) about the problems with symmetrical centre speakers if the two mid/bass cones are producing identical signals:

The Audience 42C center channel uses the same two drivers as the main Audience 42. Note that I said two drivers. That's right: Unlike most center speakers that have two woofers flanking the tweeter (seemingly in a desperate attempt to preserve symmetry), the 42C gets along just fine with a single woofer and probably benefits from a wider listening window because of this approach. The problem with side-by-side woofers is that an off-center listener is going to hear rather ragged midrange response, due to the comb filtering created when two drivers reproducing the same signal are different distances from your noggin. One way to get around this issue is to make a three-way center channel, which allows the crossover to the woofers to be low enough so that it won't matter as much, but I actually like Dynaudio’s approach more.

And, as we have established, another way around this problem is to use a 2.5 way design such as B&Ws LCR6.

7. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I do appologise, I should have said "while demoing some new high end equipment", but the truth is even worse.

An evening visit by a new young lady. Apparently the sight of banks of Quality Hi-Fi does not impress, but clean surfaces and the smell of dust polish does.

I know, I know. Sounds unbeliveable to me too but that's what I'm told is a normal view point for the fairer (unless an argument is underway) sex.

Cheers for the the concerned post.

Guy ;)

8. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Thanks everyone for your quick answers.

I should have realised that the speaker used two different frequency ranges for the apparently identical cones as I remember in the long distance past when I was trying to massage my budget for my home system that the dealer suggested I purchased a set of LCR6's instead of used 601's as the rears.

He mentioned that the LCR were infact designed to be used either as a conventional centre speaker or, when stood upright, can act as a perfectly good floor standing speaker.

Was this an attempt at pulling a fast one in selling two expensive speakers over the 601's or sound advice?

I went for the 601's as I wanted to include the Sony 777ES tuner into the system.

Again, thanks for the answers and putting my mind to rest regarding the speaker.

Cheers,

Guy

9. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Matt,

Thanks for the quick response.

You have set my mind to rest.

Regards,