B&W LCR6 S2 Dent in Centre Tweeter

cyberandice

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've recently purchased a 2nd hand centre speaker and accidentally pushed in the tweeter while dusting it off. See image attached.

Any advice on how to fix myself? or it is not worth it (as I could make it worse?) and should take it back to a professional shop to get it repaired?
If so any ideas on cost to get something like this repaired?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 221
it is an Alu foil diaphram, unless it sounds bad to your ears, I suggest to leave it alone as you could damage it further.
I have managed to gently suck them out using my mouth, in the past.
No jokes please!!

As you've already found out they're very delicate.

You options are...

Leave it.

Try a hoover to gently suck it out - or your mouth as per Ken T :confused:

Try a piece of parcel tape to gently pull it out.

There's a company on eBay that will supply and fit a new diaphram for around £35 or B&W may still have some complete units in stock - believe they're around £50

I've tried pulling them out myself in the past, I've manage to make it slightly better but never managed to get it back perfect. :facepalm:

I'd leave it alone . I have pulled them out before with a cotton bud and a little bit of super glue. If it comes out wet the bud with water and a gentle twist should take it off your tweeter

Blutak is another option but that looks like a hard crease, so I wouldn't be too hopeful.

I strongly advise against using glue or a hoover.
You may end up damaging the voice coil in the process.
Leave it alone, replace it , or use the gentlest of ways - your mouth!

I wouldn't touch it. A slight dent may be repairable with a blowjob, but that looks like a nasty crease. It may simply tear along it.

Also it'll be too creased for a hoover.

I once slurped a tweeter clean out with a hoover... less than a second... just shot up the pipe o_O

It's unlikely to cause any serious distortion at normal levels, but a new one is easy to fit if you can find one that's wallet friendly.

. . . . may be repairable with a blowjob, but that looks like .
I have an idea!
Why don't you and I start a new line of a service offering "Hifi Blowjobs" !
It may take off - but I ain't doing it myself - we'll employ people.

We could wrap them in special cable too for the wierdies.

Well charge them a fortune :laugh:

I've improved driver dents with a variety of tape, but you have to proceed carefully. I started with Masking Tape, and eventually use a very strong fiberglass re-enforced Packing Tape.

It you use a 'Hoover' you will also likely suck the diaphragm out of the frame. I would only try that as a last resort, and with the assumption that you will damage the driver. You might get luck and fix it, but far more likely you will destroy it.

I did read about someone who put a drop of melted hot-glue on the head of a pin then touched the pin-head to the dent. When the glue set, he pulled the dent out, and carefully cut the pin off the driver. I think he then used a hair-dryer to soften and remove any remaining glue on the diaphragm. That is a delicate and dangerous process, and I would only try it as a last resort.

If it sounds OK, it probably is OK, but I can understand how something like this might driver you crazy. Just keep the grill on and forget about it.

Steve/bluewizard

I've fixed these dented tweeters by first removing the tweeter from the cabinet. Since the tweeter is not mounted with screws you need to unscrew the entire baffle by removing the grill grommet holes to access the the baffle screws. Once baffle is removed, simply twist the tweeter from behind the baffle to unlock it from the baffle. Next is to unscrew the front of tweeter to allow access to the rear of dome but do this very carefully. Next is to very gently push out indentation from behind the dome using a rounded sharpy cap or cotton swab. It will never be perfect because the aluminum loses some of its physical integrity as a result of the indentation. However it is far better than doing nothing at all or doing very risky things like oral stimulation or Hoovers. To me it is the least amount of risk with the best results. Hope this helps, it works for all 600 series tweeters.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom