1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W image on HITACHI 42 plasma from tosh DVD player

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kharris777, Dec 8, 2003.

1. kharris777

kharris777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aplogies if this has been posted elsewhere, but just hooked up my new plasma last night to check it wasn't DOA (I am not ready to install it quite yet).

I qucikly chucked the scart socket from the DVD player into AV3 (and later AV2) on the media box.

The images where all black and white.

I thought this was a fault of the input so I put a Sky + feed in and managed to get colour pictures etc so I don't think its the Plasma.

I will use component when I eventually install the DVD player, but I would have thought I should be able to get a color picture out of the DVD player through a normal Scart connections.

I tried all the output picture settings on the DVD player but it made no difference.

Help!!

2. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Have you got the SCART on the DVD configured to output S-video? If so it may only be broadcasting luminance on the composite video pin, which will give a B&W image.

Try setting the SCART output to RGB (or just switch S-video off if it is on). Either way this should give you a true composite signal back on the correct pin. If you have a fully wired SCART lead you should be able to use RGB as a signal rather than composite.

3. kharris777

kharris777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that. Forgot to mention though that If I take the the scart out the back of the plasma and stick it in my normal telly, it comes out fine - in colour!

I have also tried playing with the output settings of the DVD player while connected to the plasma but to no end...

;-(

4. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Can the SCARTs in the Hitachi media box be configured for different types of input? If the SCART socket is expecting s-video then the result would probably be the same.

Is it just B&W, or B&W with little dots all over it, or slight "noise"?

I know you said you had used the same input for SKY and the image was in colour. Did you also use the same cable?

5. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  6. kharris777

kharris777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been an absolute plank. Now got the RIGHT cables and hooked everything up fine. NOw if I can just get to grips with the tradeof between big screen and crappy sky pics....

DVD is awsome though.