1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W Fronts - 805 or 7/9NT

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by yatesd2404, Jul 1, 2003.

1. yatesd2404

yatesd2404

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have B&W speakers all round in my existing setup, with a pair of old P4's as my fronts. I want to now change these as they are now lagging behind in terms of quality the rest of the system.

Wanted to spend around 1200 but could stretch to more if needed, and within that price range seems to me the best options are the following

7NT, 9NT, N805 or at a real push Sig 805's.

Wondered if anyone out there had any thoughts/suggestions on my choices or had any other suggestions.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dave.

2. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave,

I was in a very similar position to you in having an old pair of P4s. My intention was to replace them with a pair of 7NTs. However, I was horribly disappointed with the 7NT when demoing them. So, I also demoed 805s, 804s and 9NTs. The upshot was that I felt that the NT series were just too veiled for my taste - this was even before hearing any of the Nautilus speakers.

The upshot was that I bought a pair of 805s. I love the imaging, speed and transparency. I even preferred them to the 804s though that situation could change in a bigger room with more powerful amps. Haven't ever heard the 805 sigs (after my time demo-wise) but from what I've heard of them I bet I'd like them.

BTW Any mid-price upwards B&W loves big amps so budget accordingly unless you already have a juicy amp.

Just my tuppence worth, YMMV.

Regards,

Jules.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I dont know what the rest of your system is,but the Nautilus 805s are superb speakers,and the Signatures even more so,but significantly more expensive.
    Definitely better than the 7 or 9NTs.
    One other thing worth bearing in mind is that the Nautilus range and to a lesser degree the NT's generally present quite a difficult load to amplifiers,and those with limited current delivery into low loads will be likely to have problems.....what amp/receiver do you use?....I found that the Tag 5 channel amp simply wasn't up to the job of driving the 805's without obvious problems,and luckily have a set of Krells here.
    I'm sure you've thought of this,but be sure to listen to the speakers,and as many others as you can,in your own home,using your own amps etc prior to buying.

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    Nautilus 805s. Definitely.

5. yatesd2404

yatesd2404

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the inputs.

Wasn't sure about whether my Amps would be able to provide the load, as I had read that they the 805's liked to be loaded.

I have the Musical Fidelity A3 pre and power combo.

Any thoughts on whether I would have a problem with these??

Cheers,

Dave.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    The A3 is a very good amp and should be pretty good with the 805s....it has decent current delivery and good load tolerance.

7. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Can confirm that the B&Ws need meaty amps - had a demo of the 1NTs with a Cyrus 5 I believe, and several other mid-priced stereo integrateds, and though the treble was sweet and beautiful, the bass was soft and unexciting.

Went to a different shop and demo'd the 1NTs with a Linn Ikemi (£2K CD player) and a Bonnec (multi-thousand pound American (?) power amp) and the sound was transformed - very good across the whole frequency band, and very convincing sound overall.

Tried the same system with Nautilus 805s and didn't hear much of an improvement - certainly not worth a doubling in price.

Cheers,

Dunc

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Have to add that unlike Dunky,when I tried both NTs and 805s,the difference was clear,and very worthwhile,but the demo was in my own home,using Krells and a Linn CD player,but with a Perpetual Technologies DAC/upsampler added,which is superior to all but Linn's CD12...certainly comparable to the dCS Elgar/Purcell setup for clarity etc......just be sure to listen to both in your own home!...be sure before lashing out the extra cash.