1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W DS7 vs. SCM1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by warrj, Dec 9, 2003.

1. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a dilemma and welcome any thoughts on it. I currently use a pair of B&W 805s and B&W HTM2 as the front centre speakers in my home cinema (driven by Arcam AV8 + Roksan AV5).

I need to replace my rears because a) they 12-year old B&W610s that don't tonally match the fronts and b) one of them is broken and can't handle loud passage in films.

Until recently the obvious replacement would have been the B&W SCM1 which should be a very good tonal match for the 805, HTM2 combo. However, I very rarely listen to multi-channel music so the fact that it's a monopole rather than a dipole actually counts against it as a rear. Now, B&W has recently released the DS7 as part of the 700 series. It's a switchable monopole/dipole speaker.

So, my dilemma is this: Should I go for the SCM1 which will be a near-perfect tonal fit with the fronts but is a monopole or should I go for the DS7 which will be a less good tonal fit but which is a dipole?

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Jules.

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    I suspect you'll find that the SCM1 has much clearer, less distorted sound quality, as well as being a better tonal match.

Dipoles, etc. are a very individual thing. Different people have different preferences, and the accoustics of the room can have an effect on whether or not they work too.

3. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, from reading posts on avsforum it seems that the dipoles only go down to 11KHz in dipole mode. Seems fairly pointless to me on that basis!

Regards,

Jules.

4. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Also remember that nowadays Dolby recommends monopoles all round for "maximum clarity" and that multi channel music is mixed with monopole speakers.

DTS recommends monopole speakers for all set ups.

Basically it's only THX that still favors dipoles at the sides, however even they start to change and
    THX2 now recommends 2 monopoles in the back surrounds in a 7.1 set up with dipoles for the sides.

cheers

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Go and listen to a pair of them and compare them to the SCM1. The SCM1 are very good speakers, and will match the rest of the system better, but who know's you may prefer the sound of the DS7's.

6. greggz

greggz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the SCM1's (to mate with my N805's and HTM2). They sound great in their own right, but I have had a lot of trouble with placement.

I originally started with them directly left and right of me and mounted above ear level (a la the Dolby recommendation). They were ok for movies but for SACD/DVD-A I felt like i was trapped in a pressure zone between the two and it stomped all over the front soundstage.

I've since moved them further back to more approximate the recommended placement for SACD, but still keeping them above ear level. Moving them back improved the SACD soundstage but because they are still mounted about 5 feet high, they tend to image at the front of the room. So better, but not perfect.

Next I'll probably try moving them down so that the tweeters are the same height as the N805's and see what that does. Unfortunately each time I move them it involves re-snaking wire in the wall and patching holes. :rolleyes:

Another odd placement problem that i have with them involves the placement of the N805's. I get a completely different sound from the SCM1's depending on whether or not the N805's are pointing straight ahead vs. toe'd toward the listening position. When toe'd at the listener the N805's are really "hot" and over power the surrounds. When straight they better blend with the surrounds for multichannel listening but the stereo image suffers for 2 channel listening.