B&W DM602 S3: Are these speakers too powerful for my living-room?

tk2001

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My living-room is quite small (12 x 14 feet) and I wondering would the DM602 S3 sound too boomy in it?. My amp is a Denon AVR-3802 and I want the best possible speakers (within £200 - £400 budgit) for my living-room and all I've heard from the DM602's are pure praises. I do plan on upgrading to a full 5.1 set-up in the near future.

The DM602 S3 are rated up to 120 watts and my 3802 can only output 105 watts per channel - would this be a problem as I plan to use the DM602's at high volume levels?(-15 to 05).

Does anyone know where I can get a decent demo of these speakers somewhere in London?

Also, what are the cheapest prices that people have seen for the DM602 S3?

Thanks

My favourite dealer in London is Oranges and Lemons in Clapham. They do the B&W's as well as many other good speakers like KEF Q1 which may suit. Nice guys. They have 2 demo rooms, one of which is quite small and should be perfect for checking "boom"

As for B&W discounts - forget it!

I heard the original 602's..... set up correctly i dont think the room size should be a problem.

good luck with the dem!

ad

I have a pair of 602s running off a 3802 for stereo in my 11x6 study (until my house move when they'll be in the 15x15 living room as part of a 5.1). Space dictates that one sits in the corner and I hardly ever suffer from boomy base. In my experience the foam bungs make no noticable difference at these high levels. I haven't taken the volume over -10 as I'm only about 4 feet from each speaker.

I don't see any problem with the power ratings.

Great sound for the price, but I have not found anywhere that does new kit for less than RRP. Seems that discounts are banned or severely frowned upon by B&W although I do recall a previous thread that said Superfi had a 10% discount during their sale. I hope they have another soon as I'll need the rest of my 5.1.

Got my kit from Audio-T. Very helpfull and good price match facility but they only have a couple of locations on the outskirts of London by the looks of it. See www.audio-t.co.uk for their locations. They're usually willing to assist with the loan of demo kit for home demos, which seems the best course of action in your situation.

A mate of mine has the FS1AVs which I think sound very good although we do notice a lack of midrange in certain tracks. The 602s produce a fantastic full sound IMHO and I'm sure you'll love the results.

Happy auditioning

Jeff

I've recently bought a pair of 602 S3 together with the LCR 60 and the 601.
My room is exactly of the same size as tk2001's room (12x14), and there is absolutely no problem concerning the sound.

It simply sounds incredible. I use the Atacama Nexus 6 as stands for the 602 (though the 5 would probably even do better).

My Receiver is a Marantz SR 7000 with 5x100W. As long as the amp isn't much too weak, there should be no technical problem.

Happy auditioning

Originally posted by Gomez
I've recently bought a pair of 602 S3 together with the LCR 60 and the 601.
My room is exactly of the same size as tk2001's room (12x14), and there is absolutely no problem concerning the sound.

It simply sounds incredible. I use the Atacama Nexus 6 as stands for the 602 (though the 5 would probably even do better).

My Receiver is a Marantz SR 7000 with 5x100W. As long as the amp isn't much too weak, there should be no technical problem.

Happy auditioning

Gomez, how much did you pay for your 602 S3 and is everyone sure you can't get them cheaper than £300?

Well, I live in Germany, so it won't help you too much if I tell you how much I've paid...

The situation here is generally the same as in UK: There is only a normal discount if you purchase e.g. an entire package, maybe 10% of the RRP, but no special discount as B&W does not officially allow this.

BUT: There is 1 online shop in Germany where you can get the B&W 600 Series at incredible prices. I don't know how they can sell this stuff at these prices, but the speakers are offcial merchandise with full warranty and absolutely new, of course.

Well, I've tried to compare the prices. Let's see:

The RRP of the DM 602 is 300£ per pair in UK. In Germany, it's 518€, so the 602s are a bit more expensive over here.
I got them for 338€, delivered... This should be more or less 215£.

But let me tell you, these are worth the money, even if it's the RRP.

There are discounts to be had on B&W speakers but the dealers can't advertise the fact as B&W froewn upon this practice. I was quoted 603's for £459, LCR60 for £150 and 602.5's for £259. The key si to speak face to face with a local dealer. For what its worth I decided on Mission M74i, M7C2 and M7DS and I am having problems controlling the M74's bass output in a 4x5 room.

My living-room is quite small (12 x 14 feet) and I wondering would the DM602 S3 sound too boomy in it?. My amp is a Denon AVR-3802 and I want the best possible speakers (within £200 - £400 budgit) for my living-room and all I've heard from the DM602's are pure praises. I do plan on upgrading to a full 5.1 set-up in the near future.

My living room is only 9 x 18 feet and have no problems with these speakers. Upgrading to full 5.1(6/7.1?) is and easy option within the range.

The DM602 S3 are rated up to 120 watts and my 3802 can only output 105 watts per channel - would this be a problem as I plan to use the DM602's at high volume levels?(-15 to 05).

I use a 3802 and as mentioned above have a great sound. Differences in power handling only matter if there is a large diff. and you are running at high volumes. 105 - 120 watts is very slight.

Does anyone know where I can get a decent demo of these speakers somewhere in London?

I demo'ed and bought them from HiFi Experience on Tottenham Court Road. Great demo rooms and service.
Demo equipment was also the 3802 in a room around 12 x 12 feet, so should give a good impression of how it will sound in your home.

Also, what are the cheapest prices that people have seen for the DM602 S3?

Walk in with money in your pocket (or credit card) and if they will not give a discount just walk back out (after the demo of course :D) and cross the road to another shop. Try your luck and see what you can get.

hi tk, re 602s3 i do not think you will have problem with boom or power, but the 602s3 are large tall speakers ,you might find in a smaller room that they are a bit "ott" cosmeticaly you could try the smaller 601s3, and add small sub to do the (bass duties) for av,

Well, I tried out the B&W 602 S3 today along with a pair of Kef Q1 and I have to say that they offer nearly the same quailty in sound - the 602 has slightly more bass to them.

I did notice that when the 602's were turned up at high volume levels - probably between 90 to 100dB, there was more noticable distortion on the 602's than on the Kef Q1s. Although they are both good speakers, I must that I wasn't blown away by their performance - which judging from reviews and peoples feedbacks on this forum, I was expecting.

I'd have to finally demo the Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro's at uncle eric's batcave to decide on what I'm going to get.

There is 1 online shop in Germany where you can get the B&W 600 Series at incredible prices.

I would like to know the website of this shop

Is it possible?

thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom