1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W DM601s Problem/Clarification

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by corh5, Apr 2, 2004.

1. corh5

corh5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi

Need advice

I have a pair of B&W DM601s (about 6 yrs old) which are great.

However i'm now thinking of going surround sound however the problem is i will have 2 amps (Denon D7 hi-fi) and Denon A/V 1804 (for surround sound).

I know i have twin terminals on the back of B&Ws for the benefit of bi - wiring (i.e. with one terminal connected to the tweeter, the other to the bass/mid range.)

My question is can i connect one cable to one terminal and another cable to the other to effectively hook the speakers to both amps.

Would this be ok and what effect would it have on sound quality.

Thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    I would not suggest doing this as you could blow both your amps and speakers.
    The good news is that there is a very easy way to do this with the Denon receiver. It has preout connections so connect the front L/R preouts via a phono stereo lead to any input on the HiFi amp. Connect your L/R speakers to the HiFi amp along with any CD/record/tape etc players.
    Connect your DVD player via optical/coax and all the surround speakers to the AV receiver.
    When watching a DVD set the HiFi amp to the input used from the receiver and set the volume on both amps. When listening to CD's etc leave the receiver off and just use the HiFi.

I have a very similar setup and IMHO it does give a large improvement for music.

Good luck,
    Mark.

3. corh5

corh5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks Mark for the good advice.

Only question is wouldnt there be a sound sync issue as the sound for the front left and right would have to go through the a/v reciever first then to hi-fi before finally to speakers.. where as centre and rear speakers would go straight from a/v.

Thanks

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    No, this does not cause any delay problems. The preouts are there just for this type of connection. I know of many people on this forum that use an external amp to run both AV and HiFi and have never heard any complaints about out of sync sound. As I say I also run this type of setup and have no problems. It really is the only way to go to get high quality music replay via an AV receiver at £1000+

Mark.

5. corh5

corh5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The only problem is that the Denon AVR-1804 does not have preout connections for speakers :-(. Only Denon AVR-2803 upwards have them and that means at least £500 for a/v reciever

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    According to the review on www.electrictown.co.uk it does.

Mark.