B&W DM100i or Mission m72?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sparkymarky, Jul 14, 2018.

1. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Dilema.

So I have mission m72 in black as L&R. I also have a pair of recently acquired B&W Dm100i.
    Bit of a decor fan and the B&W look far better than the Mission. However one of the B&W has a duff driver and needs replacing so cant really demo them properly at the minute. Specs seem similar @89db, power handling = b&w up to 75w and missions up to 125w.

1. Will the B&W sound better than the missions? These B&w are circa 1984 but seem more open sound even though sensitiviy is the same as the missions @ 89db.

2. I have 5.1 with a large mission centre speaker. (m7c2) Will there be a marked tonality difference across the front soundstage? My receiver has auto eq filtering, standing wave, etc etc.

Obviously i have to pay for a new driver so need some opinions before paying out. Thankyou.

2. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,295
    Why don’t you plug one brand of speaker into
    one side of your amp and one into the other. Then you can play some music while using the balance knob to switch between the speakers. You’ll quickly know which has the sound that you prefer. I did this when I bought some xtz speakers. I was amazed how muffled and tinny the wharfedales I replaced were.

3. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Well i just answered this question (kind of accidentally as awaiting fresh parts for the b&w's)- and its the 34 year old DM100i's without a shadow of a doubt. Night and day.

I Put the missions back on the stands after weeks with the dm100's, did an auto cal on them through the amp as i did with the b&w's and tried them with the eq on and then eq off (both in 'stereo' mode rather than movie surround modes) and no matter what i try to adjust they sound flat & vague at low volume with zero 'energy' but when turning them up a bit they just sound overblown, bass muddy, flat, confused, awful imaging, all at the same time. Bass is big if you want it but it all just sounds overpowering and coloured. Not the nice mid bass of the dm100's at all. I know have the mission right against the back wall so that probably doesn't help as they have a rear firing port.

The dm100i's are just 100% more open, warm, non muddy/coloured and both at low volume and high volume. Symbols are crisp and they have a real nice energy with music, they really 'play along' to the music and get you involved. They only go down to 80hz but that is perfect as whilst the missions go down to a claimed 56hz this is wherein lies the problem i think - the b&w's give a real nice mid bass kick and that is all they do. Wheras the missions are trying to mid bass and a bit of sub bass which is affecting clean mid bass. The Missions just have either nothing at low volume or turn it up and they are too brash and veiled. Too brutish. I actually had to turn them off I cant listen to music on the missions. I've never really used them for music before anyway only movies but obviously they are good for movies being brutish.

Missions being removed until the new capacitors turn up for the dm100's to give them fresh life and reliability. I'm glad in a way, as this is such an easy choice to even my untrained ears which have never heard more than a few pairs of speakers before. The missions look and feel so much more a quality product (composite woven drivers, micro fibre dome tweeter etc) whereas the b&w's have pretty much paper cones and a smattering of wadding (and poorly regarded electrolytic caps).

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018