1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W DM 603 S3 system OR M&K K17/K4 system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GavinH, Jun 22, 2004.

1. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I will be building my home cinema system from scratch at sometime in the future (I'm waiting for a room to be decorated). I'm pretty set on what I'm going for - it's going to be something like this:

Projector: screenplay 5700
    DVD Player: arcam dv78
    Receiver: arcam avr300
    Speakers: 3 M&K K17s and a pair of K4 tripoles.
    Sub: not sure yet...

When I read the July addition of What Hi Fi I was pleased to see that they had built a system very similar to the set-up that I am going for. However, they had opted for the B&W DM 603 S3 speaker system...

...The system that I am building is purely for movies. Of course if it is good with music that is a bonus. As it happens, the dv78 and avr300 are particularly musical for home cinema kit. So, this had made me wonder whether I should re-consider my speaker choice.

I have always been really impressed with the M&K speakers whenever I have listened to them, and I think they are great for movies. Although I don't require the home cinema to be musical (I have Hi Fi in a seperate room) - it is in the living room, so this would be beneficial. I am asking purely for people's opinions. Do you consider the B&W set up to be more musical than the M&Ks? If so, would it be worth me considering the B&Ws as they would compliment the other musical components? Which do people prefer from a movies stand point?

Thanks,

Gav

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    They will both sound very different and whilst you obviously like the B&W sound as you are already using them, have you actually heard any M&K speakers ?

Other people's opinions won't really help you as I will tell you that I prefer the M&K sound whilst the next person along will say the opposite.

The only opinion that matters is that of the person wearing the ears that will be listening to them so get yourself down to Sevenoaks and demo both setups.

3. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ian,

yeah I've heard the M&K speakers. In fact, I did all of the demo'ing of amps and DVD players with a K7 and K4 set-up. It may be worth while demo'ing the B&W set up... unfortunately as I'm waiting for a room to be done before I can purchase i find myself constantly re-evaluating what I might go with.

Cheers,

Gav

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That's nothing unusual and at least you won't make a hasty decision.

5. Harry Botter

Harry Botter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have B&W DM 603 S3, CC6 S3, 601 S1 rears, ASW3000 sub. fed from a fairly modest Marantz SR5300. I cannot possibly imagine how it could sound any better other than to replace the rears with DS6 S3 (next on the list! :smoke: ) Sound brilliant, well made, good value. Simple.