• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

b&w dm 601's as front and rears speakers?

D

dano

Hi,

I have an existing separates set up running dm 601's and am looking to intergrate this into a surround sound system. My misses doesnt want 2 sets of speakers by the tv so after looking through this forum have found a way of doing it.

but would another set of 601's be a good option for the rear speakers to keep the sound in symmetry?

many thanks

Medrep1

Established Member
Yep itll be perfect, and then try and get a CC6 centre to match if you have the funds and space..........then a sub of some description would top off your movie watching experience off a treat!

That'll be a nice system!:smashin:

deckingman

Prominent Member
Hi,

I have an existing separates set up running dm 601's and am looking to intergrate this into a surround sound system. My misses doesnt want 2 sets of speakers by the tv so after looking through this forum have found a way of doing it.

but would another set of 601's be a good option for the rear speakers to keep the sound in symmetry?

many thanks

No reason why not. You could try something smaller if you wanted a "style" type but I don't think you can beat "proper" speakers and as B&W don't really do anything smaller then go for it. Depends on your budget and what you can live with, but a better option sound wise, would be to get a pair of 602s for the front and use the 601s as rears. Just my twopence worth.

D

dano

Yep itll be perfect, and then try and get a CC6 centre to match if you have the funds and space..........then a sub of some description would top off your movie watching experience off a treat!

That'll be a nice system!:smashin:

cool, just looked through your project thread about your room, what were the b7w floor standers you were running?

D

dano

No reason why not. You could try something smaller if you wanted a "style" type but I don't think you can beat "proper" speakers and as B&W don't really do anything smaller then go for it. Depends on your budget and what you can live with, but a better option sound wise, would be to get a pair of 602s for the front and use the 601s as rears. Just my twopence worth.

so you think a slightly better front pair would give a better result?

deckingman

Prominent Member
so you think a slightly better front pair would give a better result?

Well I think you've answered your own question :)

602s are bigger, more expensive speakers, have a wider frequency response etc, so they are likely to sound better. Even as a "stereo pair". There is always something better. In the "real world" we have to find the compromise between what we can afford and what we would like. Can you afford a pair of 602s? Can you live with their size? It goes on of course. What about some 603 floor standers? All would work well with 601s as rears (depending on your room layout).

D

dano

Well I think you've answered your own question :)

602s are bigger, more expensive speakers, have a wider frequency response etc, so they are likely to sound better. Even as a "stereo pair". There is always something better. In the "real world" we have to find the compromise between what we can afford and what we would like. Can you afford a pair of 602s? Can you live with their size? It goes on of course. What about some 603 floor standers? All would work well with 601s as rears (depending on your room layout).

ah now looking at the 603's - they are mighty temping, I have a reasonable sozed room at 4 x 5m so all should work pretty well.

deckingman

Prominent Member
ah now looking at the 603's - they are mighty temping, I have a reasonable sozed room at 4 x 5m so all should work pretty well.

They (603s that is) do work best with a lot of room behind them (and at the sides). If you can accomodate that, then they would be worth listening too. I can't emphasise enough though that you really do need to audition them if you can. Of course, something else to add to the equation, is that with floor standers, you don't have the additional costs of stands.

I guess what started out as a simple question has now led to other things - sorry about that. :)

D

dano

They (603s that is) do work best with a lot of room behind them (and at the sides). If you can accomodate that, then they would be worth listening too. I can't emphasise enough though that you really do need to audition them if you can. Of course, something else to add to the equation, is that with floor standers, you don't have the additional costs of stands.

I guess what started out as a simple question has now led to other things - sorry about that. :)

ah thats always the way, listening to some 603's may be difficult unless I can find some close to home... shame as they could be a really good option.

Medrep1

Established Member
cool, just looked through your project thread about your room, what were the b7w floor standers you were running?

Thanks. They were the flagship 605S2's, essentially a 604S2 but with active powered bass drivers, they were superb for AV and great fun for bassy music.

Deckingman's advice is spot on. As you go up the range, i.e. 601-602-603 etc the performance does improve, but you will need a bigger space to accomodate them, and then suitable power output to drive them. The B&W's love power, and will lap up pretty much what you can throw at them.

There was a time when I use to power my 601's with a Nad 218THX 2x225w 30kg power amp, and they sounded very clean and had great grip. You have quite a good sized room, so IMO it may warrant going for the bigger models?

Id go 603/604 (best) 602/601 (will be fine) mains, CC6 or LCR6 (better) for centre, 601's rears. Get the best sub you can afford and then cross everything at 80hz. Be sure you have a good amp to drive them all, or even better some power amps..............

David

:thumbsup:

scorpion88

Established Member
I would spend a trifle more and put a pair of 685's at the front.

Just my opinion.

deckingman

Prominent Member
I would spend a trifle more and put a pair of 685's at the front.

Just my opinion.

I'm assuming the OP is looking at 601s/602s because he has a tight budget. You could pick up a pair of 602s for around £100 on ebay. A pair of 685s is going to cost about £370 new and I doubt if you'd find any used.

scorpion88

Established Member
I'm assuming the OP is looking at 601s/602s because he has a tight budget. You could pick up a pair of 602s for around £100 on ebay. A pair of 685s is going to cost about £370 new and I doubt if you'd find any used.

Can't argue with that. Might be worth saving up depending on personal situation because as you obviously know the 685's are almost legendary. I have the MS Mezzo 2's which are very good but made the mistake of not auditioning the 685's.

Probably not much in it and still have not heard the 685's in a proper auditioninging comparison.

Cheers

D

dano

I hadnt really thought of a budget, but my problem is that i really love the music system I have nad cd/arcam amp/601's and dont really want to leave my music playing to a avr. This means that I need a avr with front preouts and these seem to be £650+
adding front speakers at £350, Centre £200 and sub at £300 really is getting a bit steep for me at the moment.

if only there was a simple way to switch the speakers between the arcam amp and the avr!!!!!

Hifi gear in gloucester said not to bother with a sub as they dont recommend anything below the b&w at £800 but to buy the b&w floorstanders instead and set the avr at 5.1

many thanks

Daniel

Robert D

Established Member
This means that I need a avr with front preouts and these seem to be £650+

Yamaha RX-V1065 has pre-outs and is a whisker under £500 most places. Could be worth a look.

Just to chime in on this thread slightly, I have some 602 front and a CC6 centre, both S1. I did have 601 S2 rear but have just swapped these out for some older DM600i I have and used the 601s for stereo purposes in my bedroom setup. The 600i still seem a decent match tonally and I figure the rears are probably the least utilised of the speakers in an AV setup so I would put my weakest set there.

Contemplating swapping my 602s for some 602 S2 via ebay as believe these are better than the originals and maybe getting a bigger centre. The REL Q100e sub I have does the bass thing as well as I need it :)

D

dano

Yamaha RX-V1065 has pre-outs and is a whisker under £500 most places. Could be worth a look.

Just to chime in on this thread slightly, I have some 602 front and a CC6 centre, both S1. I did have 601 S2 rear but have just swapped these out for some older DM600i I have and used the 601s for stereo purposes in my bedroom setup. The 600i still seem a decent match tonally and I figure the rears are probably the least utilised of the speakers in an AV setup so I would put my weakest set there.

Contemplating swapping my 602s for some 602 S2 via ebay as believe these are better than the originals and maybe getting a bigger centre. The REL Q100e sub I have does the bass thing as well as I need it :)

thanks for that, i will go and try the yam avr. has some good reviews and now about £470

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom