B&W DB4S Vs. Rel T9i With 705's?

theevilplankton

Standard Member
Recently obtained a pair of B&W 705 S2's. Really loving them, prefer them to my old 603's by some margin.

Playing them with a Naim Uniti Atom.

I've been running a Rel T9i for some time, been a great sub.

However, I came across a piece on the B&W DB4S sub, suggesting it is a great pair for the 700 series speakers?

Being a real novice on these things, is the B&W sub a considerable upgrade? I'm music only, never used for anything else.

I'm also interested, if it's a good move, how it would attach to the Atom. For the Rel I use (a copy of) their Bassline Blue cable. I've no clue how the B&W sub would connect!

Love to know any thoughts/opinions/suggestions on this.

mc9970

For music only I don't see any reason to buy the DB4S.
I asked about a year ago a hifi company which to buy the DB4S or the REL T9i.
They advised the REL T9i as the better sub, but I don't know if that was because of beeing the better sub or giving them a better margin :)

With subs no need to have the same brand as the speakers.
A plus for the DB4S is the app where you have some room eq possibilities.

I don't know how good bass you have right now, but in most rooms a second sub smooths bass response throughout a room and reduces localization.
If your happy with your bass right now I would not change, but if you want change I would prefer buying a second T9i over buying the DB4S.

I owned quite some subs; JL Audio F112/D108/D110, SVS SB13/SB2000, Velodyne DD12, REL T9x, Rythmik E15/F12 etc. and Rel and Rythmik were the easiest to integrate.

You now use a high level connection but you also can use a low level RCA connection to connect a sub.

Last edited:

mikemag

Distinguished Member
I’m currently using both a 4S and a 3S in my setup, mostly for movies but the Hans Zimmer Live in Prague blu is regularly used as demo material and the bass is sublime IMHO.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom