Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

B&W composite

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by boffin, Jun 14, 2002.

1. boffin

boffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Could someone help me out with pointers to FAQs here? I've had a look but nothing quite defines my problem.

I've just built my shiny new PC, using low noise components:
    Enermax PSU and fan, pabst cpu fan, paxmate sound absorbtion etc. All looking good in a Lian Li case, with black drive fronts (hey I'm showing off - it's new!)

My problem is the TV out on the Gainward FG4 Ti4200 64MB/TV. When I connect it to the front panel (AV3) on the TV (Sanyo CEWN28-B) all I can get is a very shaky B&W picture at 800x600.
    The Ti4200 has a svidoeo to RCA (composite?) short cable, which I am using. I then extend the RCA to the TV.

AV1 is connected is using RGB from the DVD player
    AV2 is suppling audio out from the TV.

I know I should be trying to use svideo. Is it possible to get a s-video to scart and still retain audio out on AV2? I'm a little worried that Sanyo skimped on the SCART pins, and that they do PAL/60 not true NTSC? The Genericv TV "monitor" driver for XP seems to want to stick at 60Hz only.

Where can I find this cable / or is it a home made effort?
    Is 3 m of svideo cable from PC to TV pushing it?
    Shouldn't the picture be colour anyway?

Regards,
    Simon

2. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dunno if you need to tell your graphics card to output composite - not s-video (s-video is b+w on component inputs)

60 hz is pal output/refresh

try lektropaks for custom cables

also look for tv tool for the nvidea cards - freeware/sharware - helps with overscan, flicker etc

pal is 768x576 or thereabouts, so 800x600 is closest...

hth

rob

3. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    B&W only is a classic symptom of trying to feed an s-video signal into a scart socket that only supports composite video / RGB.

If the telly has 2 scart sockets, then 1 will be RGB / composite, and the other MAY be s-video.

You'll be very lucky to get a usable (computer) picture at 800 X 600 - the text will be really difficult to read for more than a few minutes - you'lll probably have to go to 640 X 480.

The cable lengths you are talking about should not be a problem at all.

If you have an s-video scart then it should handle audio as well. You can get a cable from PC world that comes with a dinky scart socket, with s-video, composite video and stereo connectors, and is switchable between input and output.

4. boffin

boffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the help. This is now sorted. 1x3m svhs cable from Maplin and 1 svideo&rca to scart converter plug and we have fairly steady colour output on TV via the 2nd scart socket.

I need to flip the input/output swicth on the scart connector to make tv sound work but nobody does a bidirectional connector. The kit from maplins looks identical from the lectropacks oones BTW.

Cheers,

Simon

5. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "I need to flip the input/output swicth on the scart connector to make tv sound work but nobody does a bidirectional connector."

lektropaks will make you a custom cable if you ask them to. - i`ve had a few "specials" made there and they`re pretty good

rob

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    couple of things

60Hz is traditionally associated with NTSC 50Hz is traditionally associated with PAL. PAL/NTSC are colour carrier systems refresh rates are independant on the carrier type.

Pal is 720x576 nonsquare pixel. It will look correct when resized to 768x576 on display as should happen on a video display device.

7. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "60Hz is traditionally associated with NTSC 50Hz is traditionally associated with PAL. PAL/NTSC are colour carrier systems refresh rates are independant on the carrier type"

i should have known that! - i output pal at 75 to my pj, and ntsc at 72......

got pal 60 on my dvd player though :)

"Pal is 720x576 non square pixel"

that`ll explain why some people say 720, some say 768.......

i should really double check the tech stuff cos my (somewhat hazy) memory can befuddle me (esp when assisted by chardonnay).....

cheers for correcting me Mr.D

rob