B&W CM9 S2

BrianPK

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I only very recently realised that the CM9's had been superseded by the CM9 S2.I'm very fond of my 2.5 year old CM9s but if I thought that the S2s were noticeably superior I would seriously consider trading up or would I only notice an improvement ((improved soundstage,say) by upgrading to the much pricier CM10s?

Do not necessarily listen to WHF etc.

There is only one way to know whether they represent value in upgrading and that is auditioning with your own ears.

You can always spend more and find someone to tell you that it is worth it, but it's your dime....

I'm not in a position to listen in a demo. And besides I've never really bought into the idea that listening to new speakers in a strange showroom with different amp,cd player and cables let alone furnishings will tell me how they'll sound in my room compared to my current CM9s. I bought my CM9s after seeking advice from the lads on this forum and their opinions (especially Blue Wizards)were spot on and extremely accurate.I know that he was conscious of the superiority of the CM10s over the 9s a few years back but I was wondering if an improvement was heard when the CM9S2 was compared to the standard CM9.Thanks.

Whilst the S2s are an improvement over the previous CM range, I'd say if you're going to change, you may as well make it worth while - as the CM10 S2 would be. The "tweeter on top" arrangement works really well, and makes quite a difference, as can be heard when also comparing the CM5 and CM6.

I've never really bought into the idea that listening to new speakers in a strange showroom with different amp,cd player and cables let alone furnishings will tell me how they'll sound in my room compared to my current CM9s.

Totally agree that a blind audition doesn't really tell you anything; if you going to spend 2k on a pair of new CM9s2s, I would try to find somewhere that I could bring a demo pair home and audition in the listening environment you know and in comparison to your existing CM9s. Otherwise bring your pair into the showroom so you can do a like for like and evaluate the improvement for the extra money.

I agree with Dav1dF's point on the CM10s using better technology from 800 / PM1 and an extra bass driver, but it is a 50% increase in price and suddenly you are into the price range of a second hand pair of 804D / 803Ds. . . although there is a second hand paid of rosewood Cm10s2's on eBay for 2k buy it now. If you are thinking of CM9s2 I would be considering this option as I think you are more likely to notice an improvement

Moving to 800 series though is only going to be worth it if his amplification is up to the job. At this stage we don't know what amplifier the OP has. My recommendation is based on the presumption that the OP has a good enough amplifier for his current CM9s.

Thanks lads...I'm using an Audiolab MDAC connected directly to a TagmcLaren 250x2R monos.
I'm aware of the eBay CM10 but am wary of any increase in bass in my smallish room (12'x12').It's increased soundstage I'm interested in.

I guess you have also seen the CM9s2s that expire in 3 hours as well? If nothing else you can shoot him an email and ask him why he selling and what he thinks. I do that sometimes - find there are some really nice and helpful people on eBay when dealing with higher end hifi equipment.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom