B&W CM7 / CM1 - are they suitable?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gilesm, Sep 4, 2007.

1. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, not posted for quite some time as I was more than happy with my setup, but we've recently moved house and my setup is just no longer adequate. I've moved into a barn conversion and the lounge is 45ft * 27ft - double heighted with vaulted ceilings.

As long standing KEF fan I've been looking at the Q9 for the fronts etc, but the guy in sevenoaks has said to fill that volume with rich sound I really need to go for someting with more umpf. He's suggested a B&W setup around CM7's CM1's, the CM Centre Speaker and the PV1.

We've got a demo of these on Saturday booked, but do you think these will fill such a space. I've got this nagging feeling that they don't 'look' very big, and I know listening will be the only proof but do you reckon these will be grand enough. They''ll be coupled to an Arcam AVR300.

They're going to be used about 50/50 for Music/Movies

Also is there anything else that I should look at, the CM setup really is at the very top end of the budget.

Thanks

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I had a pair of CM1's and my biggest bugbear was they didn't go particularly loud. They were still being run in but they were swamped by the 705's I had in the power handling stakes. Letting a sub bear the brunt of bass duties might help, but I am wondering if the dealer has only suggested the CM/PV1 combo or are there others? Ask for other suggestions here and if he stocks them ask for a demo of them also or ask him for alternative suggestions. Call him beforehand and give some notice so he has no excuses.

3. Dom-911

Dom-911
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you are looking for a speaker that will fill that sort of space then have a look at b&w's new 600 series, the 683 is the one to go for out of that group, just received it in the shop i work in last week, and it is very loud, but does require some power to get a good sound out of it, but the avr300 power should be enough, running at 100 wpc.

u can have a look here http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=2281&sc=ht

Dom

4. Spangle2k5

Spangle2k5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The CMs will go plenty loud, but you need a powerful amplifier to get the best out of them.

I have them in a stereo set-up and am greatly impressed.

You should seriously consider the new 600 series. They have the new aluminium tweeter and look very promising indeed.