B&W CM1 vs M1 for surround

urbishal

Novice Member
Reaction score
hello

got a pair of B&W cm1 for surround but it is way too big to wall mount..

now thinking about m1..

front n center is cm8 and cmc..

room size is 15*12 and 90% is movie..

will the m1 match with cm series??am i doing any thing wrong replacing the cm1 with m1??

please advice & suggests and thanks in advance..

Many people use M1 satellites as surround speakers for the 600 and CM series systems. As long as theyre set to small with a crossover point of between 80-150Hz (depending how loud you want to push them), they'll be fine.

thanks..m1 is half the price of cm1 so am i going to miss something on surround sound??
i mean is there any downside using a satellite rather than a bookshelves as surround??

I found a difference when going from very small bookshelf speakers (tannoy DC4) to the center speakers with 2 base drivers that size and slightly more low end reach. I don't have a sub yet though which may be a big factor. (the fronts are DC6Ts)

I have a similiar setup with except with a CMC2.

The tonal qualities of the CM8 and CM1 are very close; closer than with the CMC2 in fact.

Driving the M1s isn't the problem. the issue is SQ.

I tried using the 685s initially, but they front back transition was too obvious. CM1s were completely integrated.

Now the M1s may sonically match, but there's the issue of crossovers. My front stage is set at 90Hx. When I set the CM1s to 100Hz, surround effects lost their impact. This was demonstrated in the opening of Star Trek Into Darkness, the spear throwing scene in the beginning. A lot of bass impact (thumps, whoosh, pops etc) occur around that region. The spear whistled past, but sounded like a little dart when it went to the back.

I then tried dropping the x-overs to 80Hz. Again, the transition was obvious. Equalised all the x-overs, sounded transparant again.

If you started with the M1s, that's one thing. Moving from the perfectly matched CM1 to M1s, you will definitely notice the difference.

Its a step backwards.

thanks loky(c)..lollll..i like loky more than thor..
i get what said and this is the reason i not only changed my whole speaker but also receiver..previous avr (pioneer vsx1021k) didn't allow me to set different crossover..
you see the problem is cm1 way better than m1 but only on stand..it is my bedroom and no place to keep those floor stand on my room..thus only option is wall mount the cm1..but i think mounting cm1 on wall both degrade the surround sound it produced and also its looks ugly on my room..

that is why i am considering m1 but now you make me more confused..

Why should wall mount degrade the sound? Its only a CM1! Also you're crossing over at 80-90Hz. The ports won't even get warmed up. Its only for surround anyway. Ambient effects mainly. Love it when playing Game of Thrones or huger Games, with those forest scenes. you really think there are birds in your room.

Sometimes I run out to answer the door when I hear knocking...

really??i also some time stop playing and ask who is it??seems so real the knocking on door..

my current crossover is 80hz but its way too big for my room also way too close to my MLP..with m1 distance will increase one feet on both side..cm1 is recommended to place .5meter away from back and side wall where no such thing is recommended for m1..

another thing is i wanna actually compromise a bit on surround sound for the sake cosmetic looks of my room..
i would never put a satellite on stand like wise it seems to my eyes odd to mount bookshelves on wall..

The wall recommendation is because of the rear bass ports. If you're not playing much bass, it wouldn't matter. Stuff the ports with port bungs.

My distance is actually quite snug as well. I think about 1.5m either side.

Its not so much surround sound, its the overall immersion, ie seamless integration. you can use expensive Diamonds for surrounds but your system will sound odd.

Consider NOT having surrounds if its a really right space. Don't toe the CM8s too much. I have them about 2m apart, and I hardly toe them in. the can really throw the sound forward and wide, especially with a good power amp. I get "surround" effect with 2 channel sources.

first i didn't toe the cm8 but wast happy..later on toed in and getting a better sound..its actually another issue with my bedroom..i keep them 8feet away from each other but i sit 14 feet away near the back wall..

can you just tell me something please??
say for surround cm1 get 10 on 10 so how much i gonna get by m1??
if its 8 or 9 than i will go after m1 but if it gonna 5 or 6 than i may keep those cm1..

problem is i can't return the m1 once i order it..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom