1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W CM range vs B&W 600 S3 range?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mr. Wilby, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

I'm currently in the market for a wholesale upgrade to my setup (receiver and speakers). Primarily I will be listening to 95% cinema, 5% music. Undecided on the receiver... tending towards the 3805 but not entirely sure yet.

Anyway:

I've been offered a chance to buy 2 x B&W CM6 speakers for a pretty good (?) price. The dealer (in Southern Finland) says that these have now been discontinued.

He only has a couple of pairs of CM6 speakers left (599euro each, 1198 for the pair). My local dealer has quoted 2000e for the same speakers, so the price is pretty competitive.

I was previously thinking about using 2x603 S3 or then 2x604 S3's for fronts but the real wood cabinets of the CM6's are tempting me.

Assuming that I can source suitable matching center and rears (CM-range) has anybody compared these two speakers?

I am intending to audition, but my local dealer doesn't stock the CM range, only the 600-series (and he's waiting for some new demo units to arrive). I don't want to make a trek down South unless I'm pretty confident that these are keepers.

Anybody compared these two back to back or any opinions to share?

Thanks!

2. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I compared the bookshelf CM2s with the 601s and found the CM2s well worth the upgrade (though in the end I bought something else entirely, it had nothing to do with the quality of the CM2s). I should mention that music is at least 70% of my system's priority.

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The CM series have recieved middling to good reviews, not the praise that has been heaped on the 600 series but having heard both I'd say the CMs are a good deal at the price you have been offered .

4. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the advice. At the moment the dealers in Finland are saying that they can't actually get any more of the CM series to match the fronts... so I'm probably going to pass on them.

However, I'm going to listen to a B&W 600S3 series setup tomorrow, so that should hopefully help with my decision making.