1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&w Asw675?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by CrystalClear, Jan 10, 2004.

1. CrystalClear

CrystalClear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pair of 604s from B&W and naturally, the subwoofer choice would be the asw675....and the price tag originally didn't shake me.

But after
    http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=1&article_id=478&page_number=1
    this review of 10 subwoofers, it makes me think(it says that the asw675 had a stiff price considering what was offered). I was hoping to hunt down something on velodyne, but unfortunately, the nearest dealer is a bit of a drive and I'd do it, but I might be able to accomplish a subwoofer easier.

The JBL in that review matches up cosmetically to the 604 as close as possible, which is somewhat important for me. Other than the 25hz frequency that the B&W plays louder, the JBL successively outperforms the B&W in almost every spec. It plays louder accrross the range and has a louder peak SPL. The price, according to that mag is $800 US, and the B&W is $1,000 US. I can get the B&W for around $1,000 US, maybe a tad less as I've known my dealer for awhile now. The JBL however, I can get for a little under $500 US.

Which to you would be better and more importantly, does the JBL rumble like it says in the review?(apparently a little more than the B&W) If I can spend half the money for oustandingly deceiving and entertaining results, I'd love to.

2. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    hi m8 , i cant vouch for the other subwoofer but i do have a b&w asw675 . ive had it for about 6 months and find it a superb piece of kit. i havent heard many subs at that price that better it. i had a rel quake to start with , bit cheaper sub i know but the difference when i trialled the b&w was amazing. hope that helps m8

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Unfortunately here in the UK the JBL is a rare beast and I can't recall anything being mentioned about it at all.

As a matter of interest the prices of the B&W A675 and Velodyne CHT-15 are reversed over here with the Velodyne costing far more at approximately $1500 which will partly explain why the B&W is more popular here.

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I've never heard the JBL, but the B&W is a really good sub. I auditioned it recently when I was looking for a new sub and was very impressed. More powerful than you'd expect, too. I do kinda know what the review means by "rumbling" and the B&W is a little bit suseptable to this. One sub about this price range which doesn't rumble is the MJ Acoustics Reference 1 (which I also listened to). If size isn't a problem, and you are willing to take a reduction in outright grunt, then perhaps this is another option?

What I would say is try and get an extended home dem. I was sure one sub was the one for me, but after 2 or 3 days my opinion completely swapped about - the sub just got under my skin and didn't sit as well as I'd thought. Thankfully the dealer (Global Hifi) was very understanding and swapped it for me.

Russell

5. CrystalClear

CrystalClear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The listening room is a hair over 11 feet by a hair over 9 feet with an 8 foot ceiling. I am looking for a swift punchy sound. Most important to me, is sheer SPL. I am looking for hair-parting bass.

-edit-
    Oh, when I said rumble, in my original post, I wasn't referring to any type of coloration or unwanted sound, I was just talking about sheer bass umph. :)

6. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    In that case I will clarify my point about the B&W ASW675: This sub is very up front and in yer face. It is more powerful than a sub it's size has a right to be. If it's outright SPL you are after then it will fulfil your needs, whilst maintaining a certain quality. The 675 has more grunt than a REL Q150 or KEF PSW3000. It does have a tendancy to overhang, though - a bass note will go on for a bit longer than than necessary lending a small one note feel to it. This was a small problem, though, and it may be different for your room.

Russell

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Russraff
    When i owned the asw675 it took a couple of weeks to get it positioned and set up properly.I think with careful set up you can eliminate any overhang the volume(gain) needs most attention as it could go from hardly any bass to too much bass.So the asw675 is a good sub but is harder to intergrate in your system.
    Cheers Gonzo.
    PS have you changed your pardigm russ.
    Oops just noticed your sig:blush:

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yeah, I sold the Paradigm purely for financial reasons. I find it a bit odd that the one speaker that you can do without in a AV rig is the one that you miss the most when its not there! I think I'd rather do without a centre speaker than a sub.

Anyway, I decided to upgrade and listened to quite a few. I wanted an open mind and judged all subs on their own merits - ignoring xBrand haters that post sometimes on forums such as this. Hell, I have been rather critical of REL in the past for their Q range products (still think the Q150 is c**p). So I listened to (all about the £650-700.): B&W675, MJ Acoustics Ref 1, Sonus Faber Gravis, KEF PSW3000 and REL Q400. I initially got the Gravis, but it just didn't excite - didn't do the biz. I only realised after a few days that the Gravis didn't have enough grunt to pull off some of the more vibrant DVD sound tracks. I suppose that I was listening out for what other people have said a good sub should sound - "you shouldn't be able to hear it" and "very subtle and tight bass". So I swapped the sub for the REL Q400. Not that the Q400 is, nor do I like to listen to, an overblown muddy sub, mind!
    Now that I have spent some more time setting the Q400 up it has become even more impressive - a different animal to the Q200/150. Thank god I didn't get the sub online, and I could do a swap.

Back to the original topic, Gonzo could be right about the ASW675. For all people can have home dems, I suppose there still isn't time enough to get them just right. If Gonzo says that the ASW675 doesn't overhang, then I believe him which makes the 675 an even better prospect.

Russell

PS Gonzo: Hows the 8500, then? Sound alright to you?

9. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Russ
    My new av unit is going to be ready some time this week. ive been without my system for the last week so really looking forward to getting everything set up, been studying the 8500 manual and seems pretty straight forward.
    Cheers Gonzo.

10. CrystalClear

CrystalClear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the ASW675 seems to receive quite a bit of praise and seems to be a favorite. Apparently some minor bass lagging and lugging issues, yet they appear to be hit and miss, maybe even situation specific. I will be integrating the sub in with a pair of 604s - which it's _supposed_ to integrate nicely with. The last time I asked, my dealer didn't stock the ASW675, so I don't think I'd be able to tell him, "Hey, take a pair of your 604 display models and put them in this smaller room over here for me, with the asw675 so I can monkey and see how I like it.." etc. Another issue on the asw675 is the fact that I don't think my dealer does exchanges or trades or anything of the like. The most he does, that I've seen, as far as prices venturing away from the retail price, would be the OCCASIONAL sale, or him giving you a few bucks off from something because he knows you, etc.

The only other thing I should do then I guess is trying get some other opinions on the JBL model. I'll do this elsewhere as there seems to be minimal input from this crowd. I would question muddyness from the JBL being a 12" driver, but as far as the SPL from the JBL, I think it has the umph. I've never heard the unit in a home, but at Best Buy's essentially crappy listening areas, pretty much all of the subs weren't impressive(they probably were decent once you got them home) due to the fact that the shape, and size of the area was huge and sub placement was horrible etc. Considering all of this, they had the JBL I am interested in on display quite some time ago. It was an older model than the more modern one, but even so, this sub was able to shake and rattle almost everything in this listening area. I've never seen an area so big filled with so much energy. It was even being used on the restricted volume control panel that best buy has setup, etc. Music had bottom end, and movies(star wars ep 1 at the time) threatened to knock you on your arse.

What do we have so far?
    A respected review from a magazine says that in every single area but 1, the JBL outperforms the B&W. The review doesn't talk about the muddy aspect of either sub, or any of the ones in the review for that matter. Muddyness is a shot in the dark. Either sub I cannot demo, and won't be able to return. The JBL I can get for $350-$500(no more than $500), and the B&W is $1,000.

I thank your efforts, information, and experiences!

A lot of things to consider. :confused: