1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W ASW675 vs. The Rest

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bargain, Feb 24, 2005.

1. bargain

bargain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I thought I knew my fair share on home cinema, but this forum has highlighted how little I know :rolleyes: hehe

Quiery...

I bought a 675 to go along with the rest of my 600 series setup - thinking not only that I 'should' buy matching stuff, but that the 675 was perhaps the best sub in its pricerange. But much reading on these here brilliant forums has shown me my ignorance regarding many aspects of HC. So I went about reading quite a few reviews on the 675 and it's 'rivals', but all I seem to read is praise for each sub in their respective reviews. I never seem to see any comparisons or recommendations, just praise.

If someone could please point me in the direction of a more comparitive review or reviews of subs in my pricerange including my 675, I'd be most grateful. :)

I seek to find fair, un-bias preferences in my reading, (as most people would), so I also like to see a unanimous trend across whatever I read to eliminate suspicions of fanboism :)

If people with experience with my sub and others similarly priced would like to share their thoughts I'd be very appeciative of that also. :clap:

cheers guys.

2. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You shouldn't read anything when you've already bought the sub. It's fine then, and you just enjoy it!

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You will never get that as listening to subwoofers isn't a precise science. If you have a good read of this subwoofer forum you will see that we have many enthusiastic owners of SVS subs (including myself) but unanimity is highly unlikely as there are still many people who for a variety of reasons prefer a different make.

B&W make some excellent subs but the USP of the 675 is it's size and it tends to be bought by people who prioritize it's compact nature over a similarly priced but larger subwoofer available from a different maker.

4. bargain

bargain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry guys, I should have done a forum seach rather than just read reviews :rolleyes:
    I see what you mean, and there ARE enough threads on the issue heh. thanks anyway.

well while I'm on the issue of my sub, can I get some advice on these 2 little tweaks...

I've recently read thoroughly on the issue of bass management and frequency crossovers etc.
    I DID have my fronts and centre set to LARGE, and I had all the crossover settings in my reciever as default. But after reading THIS thread on crossover/speaker settings, I've changed all my settings.

The short version of the conclusion I came to:
    -Set ALL speakers to SMALL.
    -Set the low-cut of ALL the speakers to 80Hz (can be 60 or 100 etc.).
    -Set the high-cut filter on the sub to MAX, or just bypass if possible (I've just bypassed).
    -Set the sub volume to half on the sub, then adjust the level through the receiver.

Question 1
    Now what I've not seen discussed in any version of the above settings is whether to set the speakers to slightly different cutoffs according to their response capabilities. So instead off a blanket 80Hz for front centre and rear, is it reasonable or advisable to have different cutoffs?

My fronts extend to 44Hz @ -3dB, so I've set the cutoff at 60Hz for front. My centre extends to 60Hz @ -3dB, so I've set the cutoff at 70Hz for centre.
    My rears extend to 75Hz @ -3dB, so I've set the cutoff at 80Hz for rear.

Would this be better than cutting them all at the same frequency, or worse?

I know this may be a matter of what sounds better to the individual, but I'm curious as to other people's opinions :)

Question 2

Sub range: 17Hz - 140Hz @ -6dB
    Sub responce: 22Hz - 110Hz @ -3db

Because the sub bypasses its high-cut filter, and the receiver controls it, is it better to leave the sub's cutoff at: STANDARD which is 120Hz, max it out at 200Hz, or set it to some other value? (I've got it set to standard at the moment).

(Or do I NOT bybass the high-cut filter and set its cutoff ON the sub - at what appropriate point?) ??

Common sense tells me to leave the bypass on and let the receiver do the cutting for both the surround speakers and the sub, so that the rolloffs are similar (correct?). If this assumption is correct, and this is the most sensible option, is there an approprite cutoff value to set - so that the sub and speakers most flawlessly blend together?

This sortof relates back to my first question also, so you can see why I'm having a little trouble deciding hehe.... will the speakers and sub blend together better if all speakers cuttoffs are identical (e.g. 80Hz)?? blah blah. :confused:

I've got the guts of it, I'm just pedantic. :suicide:

cheers if anyone replys, but just ignore my rantings if I've got no idea. Sorry for pestering you all :oops:

5. Ilkka R

Ilkka R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    A1 and A2:Set both mains and sub X-overs at 80Hz. It is common that receiver filters also LFE signal with same filters and if you set your xo say at 60Hz or lower, you throw away large bit of LFE signal. LFE signal has material up to 120Hz and even higher. For surrounds or center you can try some other xo's also. Not over 100Hz is suggested though. I suggest 80Hz for all xo's.

6. bargain

bargain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just found THIS which seems to answer my questions nicely :)

I think the only thing left I have to pick at is whether the cutoff rolloffs are properly blended ala THX crossovers.