B&w Asw675, Bk Monolith Or Svspb10

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Upgrade King, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Upgrade King

Upgrade King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    Which of the above would integrate best with my satelites (Castle compacts) and do the best job reaching the crossover of 80hz. I realise the B&W s are more expensive and it certainly is more WAF friendly but the other subs are so highly regarded on here and the performance is parramount in my choice. Any help is much appreciated. :thumbsup:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that the choice would be between the BK and SVS offerings as they are probably both ahead of the B&W in purely performance terms.

It would seem that the performance of the BK and SVS are so similar that the choice can be made on other than sonic grounds. The BK has high level inputs which the SVS doesn't but is also slightly larger. The cabinet finishes are also slightly different but that is down to individual taste.

I had the SVS for a few months and it was a superb sub (crossing over at 80Hz) well ahead of the B&W sub that admittedly I haven't owned so haven't listened to extensively.

Unfortunately I haven't heard the Monolith at all but trust the judgement of one or two of those who have and say that it also an exceptional sub for the price.

3. Upgrade King

Upgrade King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Ian, i know the BK comes in wood finishes but i'm not sure about the svs? How much smaller is the svs please?

4. Abyssandrew

Abyssandrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    PB-10 Size.: 393W x 482H x 546D (mm)

Monolith FF: 420W x 540H x 560D (mm)

Monolith DF: 540W x 604H x 420D (mm)

5. Abyssandrew

Abyssandrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Size in m^3

PB10 = 0.103

Monolith FF = 0.137

Monolith DF = 0.128

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Neither are small but the PB-10 is 393wide x 482high x 546deep whilst the Monolith is 27mm wider, 58mm higher and 14mm deeper

7. Upgrade King

Upgrade King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is tough as there is no way of me having a demo, i'm leaning towards the svs but is it only available in black as the rest of my kit and decor is wood? Am i correct in saying that AV-SALES is the only supplier in this country and that their current price is £470? If so this makes the svs £70 more than the BK

8. Abyssandrew

Abyssandrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I believe the SVS is still £420 through the powerbuy. I was in a dilemma between the same two products, but have decided on the Monolith. Purely because size is not really an issue, and I have heard some VERY good things about BK customer service. On top of that I mailed them for a bit more info, and they replied within an hour.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    AV-Sales are the UK importers of SVS subs and speakers and the price of the sub to AV Forum members is £420 including delivery.

The price of the Monolith including delivery is £421.95 so nothing in it pricewise.

BK have an exceptional reputation for customer service but unfortunately so have both SVS and AV-Sales so neck and neck on that one too :D

10. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    I'm saying nowt! :devil:

11. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also look at Rel...:devil:

12. Upgrade King

Upgrade King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Which REL at £400 would compare with the PB-10 and Monolith :confused:

14. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    None whatsoever.

Just one note, after listening to my new Monilith over the past week or so, and having listened to a home dem of the B&W mantioned, I thought I would add some thoughts on these.
    The monolith does go louder than the B&W, but since both subs are very powerful this point is academic. I think that the B&W 675 is more accurate over a larger frequency range which is good for satelite speaker x-overs of over 80Hz. The Monolith, in my opinion, only works well at 55hz or lower. Any higher and the Monolith tends to boom, in my room at least. If you can x-over at 55-60Hz then things really tighten up and the Monolith performs very well indeed and does go slightly lower than the B&W but not by much.

15. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I do think the B&W asw range are underated i enjoyed my asw675 the 6 months i owned it and couldnt fault it, if set up right it does really rock and does an excellent job for its small size if the asw850 had come in maple finish i would have been very tempted to have purchased one as they look excellent as well.

16. Hungry Horace

Hungry Horace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I recently spent an hour listening to bass heavy movie scenes on an ASW700. Until that day the only subs I had heard for a year or so were SVS and Velodyne DD subs. At first I was sort of impressed by the ASW700, it was placed about 1.5m from where I was sitting and as long as the volume was kept at a moderate level it managed just fine. But after listening to it for 5-10 minutes I realized that all the bass hits sounded the same. If it was a Nazgul passing by, or the cannons from Master & Commander, the sub made the exact same sound.

Knowing how THD works I think that this is what I heard. So if you have the space get a Monolith or a PB10, they will both deliver the bass heavy scenes with more grace then the ASW675 can manage, even at moderate volumes.

17. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    Isn't 1.5m a bit close?

18. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,471
    I'm contemplating the DF Monolith after getting rid of my Strata 5.

Just dont wanna make the wrong decision.

19. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Careful setup is required of these subs but i do know what good bass sounds like and the asw675 never sounded one tone to my ears which is a sign of a poor subwoofer seems something wasnt quite right.

20. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Meant as a joke....

21. Hungry Horace

Hungry Horace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It was in a demo room, so the conditions were not under my control. The ASW700 sounded great unless there were some deep bass present in the movie scenes. Then the sound became bloated. From the measurements I've seen of the ASW subs this observation makes sense since the THD rises quickly in the lower frequencies.

A year ago I probably would not have heard this. But being on a diet of only SVS and Velo DD subs has made me somewhat picky about sound quality

22. Upgrade King

Upgrade King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At least i don't keep changing my mind every 2 minutes on which one to buy!!! :confused:
    There seems to be very little between the Monolith and the Pb10 according to respected members on here and i probably think it's going to be a choice on looks in the end, the bottom line for me though is which one will do the best job of reaching my satelite crossover and keep composed. Many thanks for all the replies, the svs, bk debate is fantastic - keep em coming :smashin:

23. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +700
    I would suggest that those complaining about bloat may be referring to their own rooms rather than the subwoofer. Placing a subwoofer in a corner also produces bloat in my own experience.

I found on demo that the ASQW675 offered a warmer version of the truth. It adds its own harmonics to the original sound. Higher tones that should not really be there.

But for sheer wallop and enthusiasm from such a tiny box it really can't be faulted. It filled a massive showroom effortlessly and shook the shop windows unbelievably and terrifyingly.

It went loud enough to be physically unpleasant at several metres and the assistant showed no fear of winding it up without it bursting.

I doubt its lack of perfect truth in reproduction would even be noticed after a short while. I'd still suggest you take a demo model home before you decide to buy one. The same goes for any shop-bought sub.