b&w asw 600 / 650 / 675

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by heinzeman, Mar 15, 2006.

1. heinzeman

heinzeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Desperate for a 600 series 3 subwoofer - I'd like some opinions from b&w subwoofer owners please?

i have 601 s3s at the front with 600 s3 surrounds and a lcr 60 centre. it's being driven by a Linn Classik Movie Di, and i'm very happy. But could someone with a similar system, please tell me which sub i should ideally go for to compliment the system?

I don't quite have the audacity to go to a dealer when i don't intend to buy from him, just so i can demo! (I'd feel so guilty)! So i'd be really grateful for anyone with more experience than little old me to give me some guidance?!

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Cheers :thumbsup:

2. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi matey

In general i would always recommend a demo.. I find it fun to make it a great day out trawling around the hi-fi shops and getting service on demand.. You shouldn't feel intimidated and under pressure to buy anything. But with the right service you would be sure to get what you want.. I'd certainly recommend the ASW675 as i've got one.. It's a little gem and excellent value .. It's small, it's well made and nicely finished. Plus more importantly it has 500 watts of power and runs rings round equivilent REL's etc.. I'd even go far to say it's far better value than the PV1..

Good luck on your choices :smashin:

3. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I presume then you are going to buy second hand then, as B&W only sell through dealerships, and don't sell new online anywhere :D

4. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi mate :hiya:

You'll probably find it tough finding a second hand one though, yes they are that good :eek: :devil:

5. heinzeman

heinzeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys,

thanks very much for all the advice so far, i'm really grateful. I can see the general impression is that the 675 is top stuff, and yes it is the one i'd like to get as it looks so sexy and seems to be very high quality.

But i'd still be very glad to hear from other asw owners with similar systems to my own, who can tell me which of the three would be best suited to my system?

My living room is rectangular, and roughly 20 x 10 feet.

I'm worried the 675 might be too powerful for my other speakers, or is it just a case of turning it down to compensate for the others being 'modest'?

And yes i'd ideally like to buy 'pre-loved' to save some bucks!

Thanks agina so far, still on the lookout!

For now, :smashin:

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    The 675 will be fine in your room and when setup right (careful setup) will intergrate very well with your speakers.Having owned one (675)i know you wont be dissapointed.
    I brought mine brand new from a dealer with 10% knocked off for 580 quid.

7. heinzeman

heinzeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you Gonzo,

i've done a considerable amount of reading now, on the various asw's, and it seems that the one I should go for is the asw 675.

This is because:

(i) it appears to be fast and musical compared to the 600 and 650 (this is very important to me as ultimately I care more about about 2-channel hi-fi);

(ii) it seems that you can't have too much power in a sub - you simply turn it down to suit your room. This way, if I move to a bigger room, or upgrade my 5.0 speakers, I can simply readjust it. So it's a safer 'investment'.

(iii) It looks relatively pretty, and is compact!

So thanks again to you, and to everyone who added their opinions, for the advice and tips, and i'll be sure to let you know how it sounds when I finally manage to find one. (I may end up waiting for next year's January sales to buy a new one at this rate, so rare are they second hand)!

For now, :smoke:

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Can you connect the ASW675 to a hifi amp - I thought that it only came with a low level input ?

9. heinzeman

heinzeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ian J,

I don't know i'm afraid, but when listening to 2-channel hi-fi, I change the surround mode to 'Stereo' and it sounds fabulous. When I find a subwoofer, I will listen to it in 'Stereo + Sub' mode.

I have a separate, dedicated 2-channel Linn system in another room, in which I have b&w 603 floorstanders. So if I ever wanted to add a sub to that, I might have a problem with the asw 675 as you point out!

I'm sorry to say that I don't know a great deal about it, I just love music! And now in my living room i'm starting to love movies too! (But by adding the sub, I want to retain the option of listening to high quality stereo, as I sometimes prefer to sit in there to listen to music when i'm 'home alone'! The front speakers in the surround system are mere b&w 601 s3's, which is why i'm adding the sub)!

Was that a ramble? Sorry! :mad:

10. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Hi
    I listen to my music in stereo mode also on my av system as that is how i prefer it, the 675 will be great in 2 channel mode on your system also.

11. heinzeman

heinzeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think i'm ever going to be able to find a good condition, used asw 675.

So I think what's best, is if I just go and buy a brand new asw 600. (It's the best I can afford brand new).

But can you please help, someone? - i've mentioned what my system is, so will the asw 600 be good enough to compliment it and my room size, or is it just going to be one big regret?

12. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    With your room being 20'x10' i doubt the asw600 would be powerful enough to do a good job,With your budget have a look at the bk monolith and svs pb10 isd these will fill your room with the bass you need , dont worry about matching same make sub with your speakers as it isnt important.

13. heinzeman

heinzeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ahh shoot! I've just measured the room, and it's 17' x 11'.

Where do I stand on the asw 600 now?!

and if anyone does know of someone who wants to move on their sub from the asw600 ranghe, please let me know, i'd be very grateful!

thanks guys, for all your input and recommendations - it's a big help and i'm taking it all on board!

14. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
  15. heinzeman

heinzeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gonzo,

that's really kind of you to point that out. But I won't be bidding on it, as the cone is dented. I don't mind a few cosmetic marks as a sub is largely hidden, but a dented cone looks too sloppy in an otherwise new and pristine set up. If I bought the 675 i'd like the grill off to have it's handsome facade on show! (It's not just a great sounding sub after all)! :jp:

16. Paul Gibbs

Paul Gibbs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2