b&w amp

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by g5604, Apr 24, 2007.

1. g5604

g5604

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just be given two b&W 803D's a HTM4S and a PV1.

I am by no means a audiophile, so can any one suggest an amp to match these speakers? Also how good are these speakers?

Cheers,
    G

2. bass007

bass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hmm nive set up GIVEN!! wow.

These speakers are very good alot would dream of owning such nice kit

Anyway I take in will be used for homecinema, depending on your budget?

I would at least start witha Rotel 1095 as a start good value for money, if budget allows and this will also depend on whether or you would want to buy new or 2nd hand.

To name a few:

Bryston sst series

Krell

Lexicon Cx5 Or LX5

Parasound A51

Nad master Series M25

All these are very good, the best advice I could give is to visit your nearest dealer and get a few demos in and narrow it down and take them home for the weekend. Hope this helps.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Given.....a very fortunate and generous person somewhere...

bass007's advice is very sound....the absolute minimum I'd consider would be the Rotel,as it offers probably the best value for money as well as being capable of driving the speakers adequately,although certainly not to their best potential.

The Parasound amps are very well made,represent a good quality upgrade from the Rotel,and are not hugely more expensive.

Ideally if you can afford it,you should be looking to Krell,Bryston,Classe and similarly priced/specc'd amps to get anything like the best from these speakers,and having seen some of your other posts,your source components would need to be upgraded in time also.

The good news out of all of that is that you have the basis of a very good system in terms of the speakers,which should last you a good while before the rest of the system reaches their level.

4. g5604

g5604

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

thanks for the info guys, gives me some great starting points.

I will be running these speakers via my computer to the amp, for listening to music and hooking my projector up to.

i also have a few other assorted b&w speakers (including some prototypes).

indeed it was a very nice gift :) I feel pretty guilty as I know alot of people would appreciate the sound al ot more than i can.

G.