B&W 850 sub connections AVR PreOut

McTrucky

Hi,

I have a Pioneer sclx77 which I have connected to a pair of Usher Be10 fronts, a B&W centre, a pair of Proac Tablettes as wide surround and a singe B&W 850 sub. With this 5.1 setup, I have configured the fronts as BiAmped from the Pioneer.

The sub has left and right line ins , and as per manual I have hooked up a single RCA to the sub 1 output on the avr.

However, when the avr is in stereo mode for audio, there is nothing coming out the sub 1 output so the sub is 'not in play.

My last sub (BK xxls400) had a high level input and took a feed from a splice into the front speakers. This is not an option on the B&W.

Could I use a PreOut from the Amp for left or right and then connect this to the other line in on the sub?
Would this affect the power amp feed within the avr and muck up my fron speakers?
Would it cause any conflict with the sub out on one channel and the PreOut on the other channel when the amp was in surround mode?
Last thing I want is the smell of burning... lol.

This set up is new to me, having just moved house and inherited the new sub and the Ushers. I still have the BK sub if I think the B&W doesn't, measure up.

Hi,

I have a Pioneer sclx77 which I have connected to a pair of Usher Be10 fronts, a B&W centre, a pair of Proac Tablettes as wide surround and a singe B&W 850 sub. With this 5.1 setup, I have configured the fronts as BiAmped from the Pioneer.

The sub has left and right line ins , and as per manual I have hooked up a single RCA to the sub 1 output on the avr.

However, when the avr is in stereo mode for audio, there is nothing coming out the sub 1 output so the sub is 'not in play.

My last sub (BK xxls400) had a high level input and took a feed from a splice into the front speakers. This is not an option on the B&W.

Could I use a PreOut from the Amp for left or right and then connect this to the other line in on the sub?
Would this affect the power amp feed within the avr and muck up my fron speakers?
Would it cause any conflict with the sub out on one channel and the PreOut on the other channel when the amp was in surround mode?
Last thing I want is the smell of burning... lol.

This set up is new to me, having just moved house and inherited the new sub and the Ushers. I still have the BK sub if I think the B&W doesn't, measure up.
Firstly, if the sub has two RCA inputs, try using the other one.

Secondly, if you are listening in a "pure direct" type of mode, the AVR will only output 2.0 and nothing to the sub. You need to configure it to output 2.1 when listening to a stereo source.

Lastly - don't even think about using a different pre out from the dedicated subwoofer ones.

McTrucky

Thanks for the response.

I fired it up last night and for movies it was awesome, smooth transitions as helicopter flew around the room etc.
But for audio, it is just missing the base support. If I could set it to use the sub when in stereo, that would be good. That was what I was hoping to achieve connection up a preout.
Any idea how to set the stereo setting to use the sub?

Thanks for the response.

I fired it up last night and for movies it was awesome, smooth transitions as helicopter flew around the room etc.
But for audio, it is just missing the base support. If I could set it to use the sub when in stereo, that would be good. That was what I was hoping to achieve connection up a preout.
Any idea how to set the stereo setting to use the sub?
Just scroll through the sound mode options on the Pio. I don't know your amp, but I used to have an LX79 which output 2.1 stereo without problem. If you have the active speakers on the display, you will see which speakers are active.

Setting the fronts to SMALL brought the sub in.
Yes, that would be a prerequisite! All speakers should be set to small. Xover generally at 80Hz.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom