1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b&w 825/865 or velodyne dd-10/12

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ihan, Jul 5, 2005.

1. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

I have just purchased a set of B&W 804S and would like to enhance the bass for music with a subwoofer. My options seem to be:
    1. B&W 825 (available now) - this has no room eq.
    2. B&W 865 (not available yet due September, basically this is the 825 with room eq).
    3. Velodyne DD10 or 12 with room eq(already available).

HT performance aside (I don't really care about this), which of these subs is likely to musically integrate best with the 804S? Is the room eq feature useful, or is it just marketing hype. I have heard people say (on a velodyne forum) that equalising for a flat resonse does not give the best musical results.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Ian

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    At least one forum member has said that his Velodyne DD-10 sounds better with the room equalisation switched off.

3. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Ian,

If you're refering to Jeff, I think he has a DD-12. He has mentioned a preference for non-EQd bass a few times.

Bass is a strange one, especially very low distortion bass - some people think it lacks impact and would prefer a bit more distortion. The only way to be sure is to demo a few different contenders (preferably in your room). :)

**Edit**

What about the B&W ASW850 in the classifieds section? I would seriously consider that if I were looking at buying a B&W subwoofer.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I was, but what's a couple of inches between friends.

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a dedicated room with acoustic treatments then EQ is probably not needed but if you are like the majority and the room has not been treated then the EQ facility can have a dramatic effect on the in room response and improve performance.

6. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Many thanks for the replies so far. I've decided to go for a discounted (<£2k) Velodyne DD-12. I don't know if this will be better than the B&W series, but I feel more comfortable buying it because of its adjustment facilities. For instance, you can alter the phase in 15degree increments, which you cannot do with the B&W.

I'm also thinking that the EQ facility may be useful if I am getting 'one note' bass as a result of room modes?

Add to that the distortion reducing servo, I have come to the conclusion that the Velodyne has higher tech electronics, whereas the B&W is a very high quality drive unit coupled with bog standard electronics.

Regards,
    Ian

7. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    That's some conclusion! :D