1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W 805S My opinion

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by inzaman, Sep 19, 2005.

1. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    I purchased a pair of 805S the other day (with thanks to peoples experiences on this site) as a replacement for my 704s for the cinema room. I only got them hooked up on Saturday as I had to pick some old HNE stands up that I had left at my mums, they are not for B&W speakers but I will part ex these over the coming weeks.

I had demo’d them in the shop by running my ipod through their stereo amp and they sounded very nice and clear.

Saturday afternoon I had a few hours to kill and thought that I would try them out with movies first to see or hear how they sounded as this is what I initially purchased them for.
    Firstly though I thought that I would update my ipod as I had put a few more cds onto itunes, whilst I was in itunes I thought that I would listen to more music now the speakers were in my home cinema environment, well this was at 3 o’clock and I was still listening to my music at 5 o’clock, we were going out that night so had to stop my listening, they are just damn fine speakers.

All the music I listened to sounded just so clear and natural, the depth was also amazing, if I closed my eyes it was as though the band were playing in my room they are really that good. For two channel stereo I use a sub, which is my cinema sub.
    Before when I messed around with itunes on my hcpc I used to play the music via multi channel so I could here it through the HTM1 centre as that sounded clearer than the 704s, now the HTM1 does not sound as clear or clean as the 805S, it still sounds great its just that the 805S are much better.

Sunday morning before we went out for the day I thought that I would try them with movies, but just wanted to listen to a bit more music first though, next thing we are having to get ready to go out, I had lost another hour and half listening to music, so I haven’t tried them with movies yet. I have a days holiday today though so might get a chance to try them with movies this afternoon, if I do I will update this thread.

If anybody is thinking about getting speakers in this price range then definitely demo the 805S they really are excellent, the best speakers that I have owned and deserve all the praise that they get.

2. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Indeed. With their looks (birdseye), they are my favourite pair of speakers. Need a bit of room though.

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree they are 1 of the most sweet sounding speakers out there.. :)

4. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Why don't you swap back, John? :rotfl:

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Troublemaker.. :rolleyes: any way scott3 what did you replace you're M&K's with ?

6. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    As you can see by my sig, Im something of a B&W fan. When I heard the new 805S I was blown away, as they managed to sound better than the 805 Signatures for much less dosh.
    I am now trying to work out whether i can afford the upgrade from 804s to 804S. Id love 803Ds but Ive not got enough, room, money or organs to sell.

inzaman - dont forget to upgraded the phase plug on your htm1 to one of the new series metal ones. Ive done my fronts and centre and the difference is clear to all whove heard it.

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    The new S does not have the Signature finish of the old Signature range, just the 'normal' finish, mine are the Cherry finish as i wanted them to match my HTM1.

Pat, i still need to get round to this, will the new series phase plug fit the old Nautilus series. Also do i get one from B&W direct, i.e by calling them and asking for one.

I managed to watch some movies, or parts of yesterday, but will have a more detailed listen this week (assuming i get chance) and post some more findings.

8. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Genelecs :devil:

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Showoff ;)

10. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    :D

Not at all - they're cheaper! :eek:

11. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes - inzaman. The new ones do fit very nicely. Better in fact than the old ones because they have a longer screw thread. B&W have cottoned on to the fact that the "community" recognises this as an upgrade and now charge an unfair £32 per phase plug and bundle it with pointless terminal interconnects and yet another B&W dusting cloth. Your Dealer will order it for you. In the old days you could get it as a spare part for about £6.

12. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    The 805S are indeed wonderful speakers.

Still not a patch on my 803S however :D :devil:

13. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I am behind the times. I didn't know the signature had been discontinued, and it was the signature I was referring to. I haven't heard the 805S.

Do they really sound much better than the 805 sigs? What difference is there in construction?

14. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nah... :D

15. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new 805S's look pretty much like the old 805s but infact the actual design has been totally revised, the tweeter is the one used in the signature models and also the balanced drive unit is the same again as the Sig model but the crossovers are totally revised and are alot simpler but also of a higher grade too, i think they use 1st order Xover.. :)

16. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Being a bit stuoid here - is the cross over used for between woofer and tweeter during std stereo?

17. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yes. :)

18. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I can't even spell stupid.

I was unaware that speakers used a cross over in stereo. I thought it was only used in x.1, where the cross over would be around 80Hz (THX std), and that hi fi purists didn't like a sub/sat setup because of this cross over, as it wouldn't be as smooth as using 2 speakers in stereo.

19. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In general all speakers have Xovers for the Hi & Lo frequencies, what you are talking about is the bass in soundtracks and .1 which is found in AV amps or processors which purely deal with the frequencies say below 200hz and make intergration between Subs & speakers easier.

20. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Any speaker with more than one type of drive unit will have a x-over of some sort included in the cabinet - it's there to direct the frequencies to the driver most suited to deal with them. In short, high frequency (treble) goes to the tweeter and lower frequencies (midrange/bass) are sent to the woofer.

21. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perfectly explained Scott3... :D

22. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    :blush: Thanks, John.

23. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Thanks Scott, that's what I assumed when recruit said the 805 had a xover.

24. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Rags with the 803S being over twice the price i imagine they are not :)

I wonder if B&W will release a new Signature 805 series with the diamond tweeter?

25. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would not be surprised if they do, and Now that will be special.. :smashin:

26. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I would expect them to. I can't imagin them giving up on the birdseye finish. If only I had somewhere to put them.

27. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ooh. Rags -youve got 803S. Now I bet theyre a bit special. I looked at the 803s when I bought my 804s and slightly preferred the sound of the 804s. However, now that we are in the realm of new tweeters, new rohacell bass drivers and better crossovers, the new 803S is very tempting. What do you run them with ? Did you also listen to the 803D ?

28. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    I actually owned the 803D version for a few months and then went down to the 803S. Whilst I love the sound of the diamond tweeter I found felt that my Parasound A51 wasn't driving them hard enough and the bass was not as impactful as I felt it should be. The 803S are much easier for the A51 to drive and sound superb - significantly better in the bass dept than my old 804's and a touch smoother at the top end. The top end is not as sharp as the old range but is brighter than the diamonds - a perfect balance for HC sound.

Here is a pic of my old set up with the diamonds -

Attached Files:

29. Billzabub

Billzabub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    <If> I go for these speakers with my new Denon AVC-A11XV, I have the option of Bi-Amping them - is this something which I should consider doing - and as part of the lesson - what has this to do with crossovers? anything?

Cheers,

Bill

30. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ive actually sold my 804s now and am back to the shop this weekend for an 803S vs 803D listen. I`ll take on board your "driving" comments. I think both would be ok on the end of a meridian 559.
    Anyway, back to the topic. Lovely lovely 805S.
    BTW Billzabub - yes you should consider driving them bi-amped and, as part of the lesson....you'll be assigning a different amp to each of the treble and bass drivers,rather than the same amp with a different cable run (biwire). This should give a purer sound with more slam. Doesnt always turn out that way.......