1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W 805 - Worth bi-amping?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by warrj, Jun 1, 2004.

1. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm thinking about splitting my Hi-Fi/AV system into two distinct systems - one for Hi-Fi and one for AV. The Hi-Fi system would initially be comprised of an Arcam CD23 (CDP), a Roksan Caspian DSP (pre-amp), a Roksan AV5 (Power-amp), B&W 805s (speakers) and a Sonus Faber Gravis (sub).

In theory I could bi-amp the 805s with four channels of the power amp's five channels. Would I gain any benefit from doing this? I remember that when I bought the 805s the dealer said that it wasn't worth bi-amping the 805s.

So, has anyone tried biamping 805s (esp. with a multi-channel amp) and did you see any benefits from doing so?

Regards,

Jules.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The 805's like most of the Nautilus range are moderately difficult loads,with a large drop in impedance at low frequencies,which gives a few amps quite a problem.

Biwiring the 805's is a definite improvement,and I'd say it's certainly worth trying your plan,just being very careful to get the wiring correct(and ensuring the bridging links are removed!)....mine aren't biamped,but with a pair of Krells running them,there's no problem with current delivery and load tolerance....in short,give it a try...if you dont notice any improvement,revert to single amping.

Decent speaker cable is also worth considering(I don't know what you have,but if you're considering doing this,don't strangle the results with poor quality cabling!).