B & W 805 amp replacement

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
If you look at the insides of the Nord (or any other Hypex or Purifi amps) then it is basically three circuit boards connected by a bespoke loom and then connected to the front and rear panel. The three boards being the smps power supply, a buffer and the amp board. Very simple and there are many kits out there, Nord and other complete amp sellers ass the buffer that you don’t typically get in the kits. If you add up the bits retail price then the Nord prices are a bargain, plus some Hypex board are only available to producers not diyers.

Restored

Novice Member
I agree looking around Nord do seem good value, but back to basics, I understand the power supply, and amp but what do the buffers do, and I notice the connection at the back of a lot of power amps are not phono or banana plugs as they are on my Arcam what is the name for those connectors, sorry to ask but all this is new to me.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
The three pin connector is an XLR connector.

iwf

A foretaste before the weekend.

in answer to your questions though. Most power amps use a balanced XLR input. Don’t worry though if buying new you can spec RCA, or as do use an rca/xlr cable. On the back it can support banana plugs or bare wires.

Attachments

• 0AEA7E7E-2A51-4262-883D-A53115B95A9B.jpeg
    0AEA7E7E-2A51-4262-883D-A53115B95A9B.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 9

Restored

Novice Member
I guess you’ve decided which one you are going to sell then, I presume this is your home build, looks pretty neat.

iwf

Yep, I’ve decided. My only question is how much more to tweak this build, by adding a 12v trigger or not. Ideally the buyer won’t be frightened to get a soldering iron out, if they want to extend it. But in reality it was simly connecting it all together. Though I’ve soldered the xlr, the newer versions even allow for screw fit.

Interestingly the inclusion of a buffer board with removable op amps allows an element of playing along the lines of tube rolling. Effectively the big players, like Bel Canto and NAD take the basic amps then add their own op amps and maybe cheaper power supplies.

This particular amp has been the cleanest amp I’ve ever owned. Powered up and without anything playing, there’s no sound at all from the speakers, almost like a black hole. That’s quite something when considering the 805d3s The only trouble is that it shows up poor recordings like nothing on earth.

Your idea of using an Arcam as a pre isn’t a bad idea. The arcam would add some warmth to what can be a dry sound. I’ll never go back to class AB amps and am probably suffering from diminishing returns by moving to the purify.

Restored

Novice Member
Sounds very interesting and I‘ll look forward to seeing the ’ad’ however not sure it would be for me, the prospect at this stage of breaking out a soldering iron is somewhat scary, I am it seems at the bottom of a steep learning curve and probably need the help of a manufacturer in terms of upgrades etc I guess I was hoping you would decide on selling the Nord

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom