B&W 804 D3 v PMC Twenty5 26 v Revel Performa F208

Crazeenick

Established Member
Reaction score
I am upgrading my B&W CM10 S2 speakers to a better pair of floorstanders. I am considering these three sets of speakers:

B&W 804 D3
PMC Twenty5 26
Revel Performa F208

I have not been able to audition anything due to Covid, so am just reading reviews for now.

My other kit is:
Innuos Zen Mk3 Streamer/Server
Audioquest Diamond USB cable into:
Chord Dave DAC
Naim CDX2 CD player
Amps: Naim NAC282/Naim NAP250DR
B&W ASW10CM S2 subwoofer

I liked my existing B&W speakers so thought the B&W 804 D3 was the obvious upgrade path, but have heard others rate the PMC and Revel options.

Any views on these three speaker options - or other recommendations?

My budget would be £7k or so (RRP).

Thanks.

Lots of suggestions on this similar thread - Floorstander recommendation needed...

If you have the power to drive them the I would add the ATC SCM40’s, these are detail monsters but need power to drive them. If you like small group and clean vocals then Sonus Fabre are renown for their mid range and finally Focal and Naim are from the same parent group and the Eutopia range is often paired with Naim.

I am upgrading my B&W CM10 S2 speakers to a better pair of floorstanders. I am considering these three sets of speakers:

B&W 804 D3
PMC Twenty5 26
Revel Performa F208
What kind of improvements you expect? What you do not like in yours B&W CM10 S2?

All the speakers listed have things in common - U-shaped frequency response, I'm pretty sure, you will fill lack of midrange, sharp highs and bass problems.

7K£ is quite valuable sum and you can get somethig better.

d2FjPTc0NHgxLjQ2Ng==_src_43750-bowers_and_wilkins_cm10-s2-audiocompl-laboratorium2.jpg

B%26W-804-FR-thumb-650xauto-15550.png

1120pmc.lab1.jpg

714R208fig4.jpg

atc_scm40_on_axis_groff_gron.jpg

I just upgraded my CM9 S2 for the 804 D3's ... I love them. The best way to explain it is that previously I could everything but now the veil or curtain obscuring detail has been taken away, and now there is clarity that was missing. I am driving them with a LINN Majik DSM bi-amp ... and these seem easier to drive than the CM9s. Incidentally I tried the Focal Kanta 2s and had to take them back ... the 4 drive units seemed to be operating completely independetly.

Nothing wrong with any of the speakers you mention, there’s some quality gear listed. However I think there is a tendency for people to get the widely available entry / mid level gear then look up the ranges among the same brands when they want to upgrade.

With the sort of budget you’re talking about the options are vast, completely new speaker designs become within reach. Horns, huge classic Tannoy types, dsp active speakers etc.

I’d be tempted to sell some of your other gear and go with something like the Dutch & Dutch 8C of larger ATC actives, Kii Three perhaps.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom