B&W 801 D4 - nearest competitor

Thanks Derek, I'll add them to the list, I'll also add the requirements you mention to my must haves. I cannot tell you how steep the learning curve has been, from my marantz cr611 with q acoustics and wondering why I wasn't happy with the sound. To where I am at the moment. I'll keep you posted.
Please add pics when you've finished your project so I can drool over my keyboard!:blush:

Looks Like Doug Brady Hi Fi supply the Harbeths, Roger there supplied my Rotels so I'll definatly speak to them. Looks wise not exactly my cup of tea but I'm not ruling anything out.

I know what you mean about the looks.

I find them distinctly old fashioned in shape and finish. I’ve no idea why Harbeth don’t make a modern looking floorstanding, say, satin black version.

If I can ever afford a pair they’ll be getting a professional car respray and solid stands made in the right dimensions to make them appear to be floorstanders.

But it sounds like you’ll get to hear them properly at least. And they certainly won’t physically overpower your room.

@mjp8248 - can I ask you a question (you don't have to answer if you wish to maintain your privacy) - did you win the Lottery?

I only enquire because you have not followed the traditional upgrade path at all. Most people start with budget kit, like you did with your previous system. Then, when funds allow over a period of time, they might upgrade items one by one to midrange kit.

Then, slowly but surely, they'll upgrade to high end finally, hopefully, coming to their end system. But you've just rocketed from budget to high end in one leap!

As an aside, I would never have put 7 Series B&W speakers in a room that size, no wonder you blew your drivers trying to fill the space. As a minimum, assuming you stay with B&W, it would be 8 Series and even then one of their biggest floorstanders.

p.s. If you did win the Lottery - congratulations!:)

@mjp8248 - can I ask you a question (you don't have to answer if you wish to maintain your privacy) - did you win the Lottery?

I only enquire because you have not followed the traditional upgrade path at all. Most people start with budget kit, like you did with your previous system. Then, when funds allow over a period of time, they might upgrade items one by one to midrange kit.

Then, slowly but surely, they'll upgrade to high end finally, hopefully, coming to their end system. But you've just rocketed from budget to high end in one leap!

As an aside, I would never have put 7 Series B&W speakers in a room that size, no wonder you blew your drivers trying to fill the space. As a minimum, assuming you stay with B&W, it would be 8 Series and even then one of their biggest floorstanders.

p.s. If you did win the Lottery - congratulations!:)
Hi Derek, lol I wish!! Money with no hard work - wheres the fun in that. No several businesses, some sold some still ticking over. I'm a car guy, and house guy, it's only now I'm happy with both the cars and house so it's next project. Strangely enough it's my better half that's got me into this hobby. She is adamant she wants the b&w nautilus loud speakers, purely from an aesthetic point of view. I'm not so sure...80s tech can't really compete with modern day progression from a methodical logical point of view. However I'm sure that many of you could demonstrate that I'm incorrect. I do love the passion and drive for perfection that the audio world strives for. And everyone seems to genuinely want to help,.

Hi Derek, lol I wish!! Money with no hard work - wheres the fun in that. No several businesses, some sold some still ticking over. I'm a car guy, and house guy, it's only now I'm happy with both the cars and house so it's next project. Strangely enough it's my better half that's got me into this hobby. She is adamant she wants the b&w nautilus loud speakers, purely from an aesthetic point of view. I'm not so sure...80s tech can't really compete with modern day progression from a methodical logical point of view. However I'm sure that many of you could demonstrate that I'm incorrect. I do love the passion and drive for perfection that the audio world strives for. And everyone seems to genuinely want to help,.
Wow - she knows her stuff!

The Nautilus are absolutely statement pieces in their own right as objects to be admired and their physics are sound enough (from what little I understand).

Don't necessarily dismiss "old" tech - the Linn Sondek turntable hasn't fundamentally changed at all from its 70's origins. If you bought one then, you can pretty much upgrade it with contemporary Linn components to improve its performance, but it's still the same device at its core. When something is fundamentally right in its design, you only need to make small, periodic improvements.

You know, ultimately, a system is meant to serve your music, if you're not enjoying your music then you don't have the right system for you. And synergy is everything - some components just don't gel with others, despite their specifications and statistics.

One final thing: it's the speakers which have the final sonic say in a system. Some people say it's source first, but in my experience it's always been the speakers that have had the biggest impact on the sound.

I am so looking forward to seeing how your system and room finally shape up, and reading about your experience along the way.:)

It seems like your listening position on the sofa will be 4-5m from the likely position of the speakers. Dispersion at that distance is going to be challenging, a line array or large horn might be something to consider therefore.

Some other high-end contenders to consider from the conventional speakers:
  • KEF Blade
  • Focal Sopra 3 or even Utopia

Some horns:
  • Klipsch La Scala
  • JBL S9900
  • Avantegarde Duo or Trio - if your partner is really into the design aspect these are quite beautiful as well as some of the best sounding speakers in the world.
Line arrays are available from some of the exotic manufacturers, can'd find links to all of them, but:
  • See the Steinway Lyngdorf LS series for example.

It seems like your listening position on the sofa will be 4-5m from the likely position of the speakers. Dispersion at that distance is going to be challenging, a line array or large horn might be something to consider therefore.

Some other high-end contenders to consider from the conventional speakers:
  • KEF Blade
  • Focal Sopra 3 or even Utopia

Some horns:
  • Klipsch La Scala
  • JBL S9900
  • Avantegarde Duo or Trio - if your partner is really into the design aspect these are quite beautiful as well as some of the best sounding speakers in the world.
Line arrays are available from some of the exotic manufacturers, can'd find links to all of them, but:
  • See the Steinway Lyngdorf LS series for example.
So What are these Horns!!!! I've fallen down yet another rabbit hole. What's the downside? Clarity? How are they driven? Would my current setup be lost? I love the avant-garde duo's obviously only from an aesthetically objective view point, not heard them and youtube through a samung speaker doesn't do the 40k speakers justice now does it. Lol Now to see what line arrays are all about!

@mjp8248 - If you’re close to Doug Brady’s get yourself over there great set of lads. With the kit you already have, speaker budget, decent advice and your good ladies input you can’t go wrong 👍🏻

Small update, it's clear the room is a huge factor in speaker selection.

So the room dimensions are as folllows:

Width 7m
Length 15m
Height 3m

Cheers Mark

Small update, it's clear the room is a huge factor in speaker selection.

So the room dimensions are as folllows:

Width 7m
Length 15m
Height 3m

Cheers Mark
As I said before, you'll need big, powerful and sensitive speakers to fill that space, though you already have the right amplification to do so.

@gava is right - horn speakers work best in a large space like yours, though I understand that the sound isn't to everyone's taste.

To throw another alternative into the mix: electrostatic speakers. Pure electrostatics aren't too happy with very high volumes, but there are hybrids available now that combine the best of the technology (Highs and a simply astonishing Midrange) with a Bass module like this:

Comes with ARC Room Correction that isn't built into your amps and can really make a difference with overly boomy bass.

But if you're really pushing the boat out with electrostatics, then there's always these beasts:

"Made-to-order, hand-delivered and professionally installed", they say. At that price, I'm not surprised!

Just had a peek. I think they will be ‘sufficient’.

And, if not, you can always buy another two 😂

Just had a peek. I think they will be ‘sufficient’.

And, if not, you can always buy another two 😂
Lol I've brought cheaper cars, and smaller come to think of it. Haha should be interesting. I'm quite excited to hear these beasts in the flesh, in our room.

Lol I've brought cheaper cars, and smaller come to think of it. Haha should be interesting. I'm quite excited to hear these beasts in the flesh, in our room.

This is such a huge set up I’m vicariously excited 😀

Ps, have you been to have a listen to the Harbeth M40.2s yet?

Although considering what you’re spending, any dealer should be zooming to your house with their wares.

And bringing cake.

Hi Paul, no not heard anything yet, I've been a keyboard buyer today, I'm planning on demos later part of this week. I will definatly keep you updated.

Excellent. Cheers sir. 👍

B&W demo arranged for 2 weeks time to listen to the 801 d4's, however prior to that a local high end dealer has extended to me an invite to the owners property to experience the outgoing B&W 800 Diamonds. Just to give me an idea of what to expect prior to arranging a demo at B&W head office for the 801's. 1x sub arriving tomorrow with my replacement 702 driver. Also the sub cables (chord) arriving tomorrow also. Pics to follow.

UPDATE!!!! BAD Day!

So having sourced the 2x Rel 25 Sub woofers. I recieved a call from parcelforce that my deliver was 15 minutes away. True to his word the delivery driver arrived and delivered the huge!!! Rel 25 Sub (1 of 2) supplied by Peter Tyson.

Unboxed and connected with the aid and support of Rel UK customer services, top guy called Ben. However!!!! No output, and no power to the ambient lighting. Ben confirmed the install and stated that it was definetly a fault with the unit. Peter Tyson have acknowledged my fault, but not responded with a solution as of yet.

Not happy, not one bit!
On a better note, Doug Brady sent out a replacement driver for the 702s and they are singing sweetly. Cannot recommend Roger Enough!

Attachments

• 20220323_090758.jpg
    20220323_090758.jpg
    695.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 20220323_091446.jpg
    20220323_091446.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 20220323_114308.jpg
    20220323_114308.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 20220323_114312.jpg
    20220323_114312.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 20220323_114319.jpg
    20220323_114319.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 142
Look at the size of that beast! And you're getting two!

Sorry to hear that one has instantly failed, how did that get past QC? At least you had a REL rep to hand so you didn't have to try and persuade someone it was faulty.

@lindsayt please can you provide a link to Steve57 speakers, I am interested to see more about them. I agree DIY has lots of benefits but not for everyone and I would always choose a proven design to start with. The Diyaudio Open Source Monkey Box would come to mind in this price range (they are about £3k in parts).
Here's a photo of one of his speakers, with him in the background:
file.php

He doesn't have a website for his speakers. He is active on other UK based hi-fi forums.

As proven designs, his speakers are far more of a proven design than every speaker mentioned in this thread so far!
That's because Steve has been very active at bake-offs and other hi-fi events where his speakers have always been the star performers.
The proof for his speakers has been them beating all comers - at events that anyone could attend. Lots of events and lots of "competitors".
That's far more proof than a few magazine reviews.

And for anyone not into woodwork, subcontract everything you don't want to do. And what you will have is a bespoke pair of speakers. At a price and performance level that thrashes everything you could buy at your local dealers.

Steve is a more talented and capable speaker designer than anyone at B&W. The proof is in the speaker sound quality - when compared to other speakers.

Does annoy one have any experience with the Tannoy Kingdom Royals or the JBL everest dd67000. I've had a few dealers tell me to avoid horn speakers but I'm slowly whitling down my short list for demo purposes. The Tannoy and JBL appear in a lot of threads with some great reviews. Cheers

Just goes to show, your dealers don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Classic Altec, JBL, EV, Urei, Vitavox horns would be great for your room and should be relatively affordable, if you buy right. As well as them being not fussy when it comes to the amplifer you use with them.

I'm confident that Steve 57's red and black speakers would thrash the Tannoy Kingdom Royals when it comes to overall sound quality.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom