1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W 800ASW - Any good? How much?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by TheFatBoy, Oct 22, 2003.

1. TheFatBoy

TheFatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been offered one of these subs in trade for a reconditioned Tivo plus money...

Problem is, I know they've been discontinued a few years back, and I can't find any 2nd hand pricing info on them at all. This one is about 5 years old and in good condition.

Also, 5 years ago, they were getting good reviews, but how would they hold up today? Is it going to sound a bit flabby (despite its THX certification), or has speaker manufacture not really advanced since then?

Finally, my current system (which is just lacking a sub to be complete) isn't hi-end stuff at all, but it's excellent to my ear and I'm well happy... I have a Pioneer VSX-811 amp running Tannoy MX centre, fronts, surrounds and a couple of Gale's for rear effects. Will the B&W completely overpower the system, or will it sound as good as I'd like? :D

Ta for any replies!

2. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I have two of the very same mine are about four to five years old. Double check serial numbers with B&W to make sure they are not older. Not as tho that is a problem it depends on how they have been treated/driven. I picked up mine ex demo and they looked like they had been kicked all around the shop, but after a bit of polish (black shoe polish) the wood veneer came up as new !.

They are absolutely bomb proof just check the foam surrounds for damage and test drive them first !!. These are truly superb subs and well/over engineered. They also have plenty of connection options and with all the necessary phase and frequency settings.

:smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

3. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I'm assuming you mean the original B&W 800ASW matrix subs ... these retailed for 1500 quid originally ..... so as long as they work you have yourself a bargain !!!!

4. TheFatBoy

TheFatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cool...

Hopefully smash out a deal with him then... :smashin: