1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W 750 Subwoofer - Opinions please

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Brobat, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Brobat

Brobat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the market for a new subwoofer and at the moment I am seriously considering the B&W 750 model. I do listen to a lot of music so the sub would need to be able to handle both music and movies, possibly more music as i rarely get the time to sit through an entire film these days

I am hoping to get an audition of one soon but in the meantime has anyone heard one that can offer me some opinions.

Thanks

2. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    Have you used the "SEARCH" button?

3. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Forgive me Smurfin: But that's rather too easily said unless backed up by reality. Let's put it to the test:

Take my own example: MJA Acoustics Ref100 V Ref1 subwoofers ín direct comparison: Been asked a hundred times before and unworthy of a reply. Got to be easy-peasy hasn't it?

The limitation of needing more than three letters for a search term threw me when I joined this forum a couple of days ago. It's not something I've come up against previously on my nearly 60 newsgroups / fora and searching newsgroup's archives for specific information over a few short years online.

This immediately rules out searching for MJ or MJA. A bit of a shame don't you think? And perhaps explains Velodyne's previous success. It's the only name anyone can search for directly.:) SVS and B&W suffer exactly the same problem as search terms in isolation.

Using "subwoofers" for a search term, while interesting is going to take some time to read through an awful lot of threads. 634 hits!

"MJAcoustics" doesn't really help. (10 hits) Nor does "MJ Acoustics" (fails on 'MJ'). "Ref" is also not allowed as a search term. (too short) Though "ref100" is (25 hits). While "ref1" produces only 7 hits! "ref1 and ref100" produce 2 hits. My own 2 threads! Yet the latter remains unanswered because it has been asked so often(??)

Since you suggested a search: Let's put you to the test:
    I'd value your greater experience for a search term specific to these two MJ Acoustics subwoofers. Without having to wade through tons of other irrelevant material about manufactures that have no interest to me in my search. Can it be done?

The search term please for: "MJA Ref100 V MJA Ref1 direct comparison?"

NIMBY :)

Forgive my rude intervention here Brobat. But I'm suffering exactly the same fate as you as a newby. Let's get search terms for the B&W 750 as well while we're at it. I'd like to hear how good real people actually think it is. That's one I can actually get to listen to myself. Unlike the MJ's.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I assume that as the B&W ASW700 is fairly new that not many people have heard it although I am sure that I read that rags was thinking about buying one.

I am not sure about the MJA subwoofer comparison but I think that crustyloafer may be your man as I think that he has a Ref 1 and has heard all of the MJA range.

5. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I have a B&W ASW750 and it's a mighty fine subwoofer.

Nimby - not sure what you are talking about but if anyone wants to search for my and other opinions on this sub type "ASW750" in the search engine and a few threads will come up ;).

Ian - the ASW700 is a lower model and is significantly inferior to the 750.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sorry it was a typing error as I meant the 750 :blush:

7. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Originally posted by Ian J

"I am not sure about the MJA subwoofer comparison but I think that crustyloafer may be your man as I think that he has a Ref 1 and has heard all of the MJA range."

That may well be true Ian. He did seem very keen. But in that case how do you drag him away from his beloved Ref1 long enough for him to answer my questions? ;)

NIMBY