1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W 705's or 704's?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by smithers, May 23, 2005.

1. smithers

smithers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to upgrade my main speakers from 603/S3's to either 705's or 704's. The price of the 705's + B&W stands is approximately the same in cost as the 704's. I don't have a subwoofer at the this time and this is the next upgrade for me.

My dealer is offering to buy back my 603's at full value as credit towards the purchase of either of these these speakers. Should I go with the 705's or 704's? In either event, the future purchase of a sub will compensate for the low end.

A few things about me,

Music/HT 50/50 maybe 60/40
    Type of music I listen to is mostly rock and metal with some R&B when I feel the need for a change.
    Current receiver is a NAD T742 @ 60wattsx2 or 50wattsx5

2. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +538
    704's without a doubt.

You can happly get by with the 704's without a sub. I only use my floorstanders at the moment.

It is probably a personal thing, but i don't like how sub and sat's integate with music. I end up either hearing a gap in the bass or an overlap. Don't forget with music your whole attention is on the sound, whilst with AV only 10-20% of your attention is on the sound.

My choice of music is indy rock, and i have listened to pretty much every speaker in the £1000 - £1500 range and only the 704's and Kef XQ5's came close to providing the open sound that i like and expect.

Saying that i ended up buying a pair of Monitor Audio GR20's because i managed to find a second hand pair at half the price!!!.

Make sure you have a demo. When i listened to the 405's i knew within 20 seconds that they would not work.

I hope this helps.

3. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +538
    p.s. it maybe worth upgrading your amp first. I am not sure that the NAD would be able to take full advantage of the B&W's.

At the very least consider buying a second hand power amp and use the NAD as a pre only.

4. smithers

smithers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stopped by my dealer quickly today to discuss alternative deals given my budget which I have increased :)

The following three options are cost the same.

Option 1
    --------
    2x B&W 705 including their respective B&W stands
    1x ASW 700

Option 2
    --------
    2x B&W 703's

Option 3
    --------
    2x B&W 805S including their respective B&W stands

What do you think would be the smarter move given the information mentioned above,

Music/HT 50/50 maybe 60/40
    Type of music I listen to is mostly rock and metal with some R&B when I feel the need for a change.

* I realize that I will need a power amplifer to drive these speakers this will be the next upgrade as I generally do not listen to music at very loud volumes, I only really turn it up when watching a movie but then again loud for me is 80-85 dB.

5. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +538
    I was not recommending a power amp for high volumes. I was just a little concerned that your amp (at any volume) would not get any where nere the most out of the speakers.

What size is your room?
    What is the sound proofing like (does the sound / bass go straight through the walls.)
    Is the room well stocked with furniture?
    What are your current speakers?
    What in your opinion does the sound lack fromyour current speakers?

All these questions, in my opinion, are important in making this decision.

6. smithers

smithers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Q: What size is your room?
    Small living room area in an appartment about 18"x15"

Q: What is the sound proofing like (does the sound / bass go straight through the walls.) some sound does travel through as this particular building only uses drywall and wooden beams to separate the appartment adjacent to me. The 603's are placed about 1.5 feet away from the corners. I'm content with the bass output.

Q: Is the room well stocked with furniture? Yes

Q: What are your current speakers? 2xDM603's (fronts), no center, no sub, 2x Paradigm Micro's (rears)

Q: What in your opinion does the sound lack fromyour current speakers? Midrange could be better or it could be due to the sickness of wanting something better.

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674

Well done with increasing the budget!...always a problem here when my wife finds out the real price.

I'd say this about your various options.....the 705 is quite close to earlier versions of the 805,at a significantly lower price,but will not be a match for the current 805S,in terms of clarity and definition,but it is a very good speaker for the money.
    The 703 I have no experience of and thus wouldn't comment on except in the light of your comment about buying a sub,which would tend to make the need for a floor standing speaker less crucial(I know that one of the posts above says that you wouldn't need a sub with 703's,but very few floor standers are anything like full range).

The 805s are superb speakers(not just as I have a set,but they were bought in preference to several others at the price point).
    They do,however,need a very good amp to get the best out of them,and when I was trying them in a dealer's rather nice showroom,the TAG 100x5 power amp he was using was completely inadequate.
    They need an amp with good load tolerance and control,and really will expose any shortcomings there.
    Given that,they do work very well on most material,but especially rock and jazz,with the ability to go pretty loud.

In the end though,you must listen to as many of the above as possible,in your own room,as it's the only way to really decide.

8. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    This is an integration issue. It can be overcome with a bit of time and (sometimes!) a lot of patience. However, when it's right, you'll know it. :)

I'd say more like 50%. George Lucas agrees. ;)

Always the best advice. :thumbsup:

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The sub/sat thing is always an issue of integration,and given a good enough sub,and sufficient effort put into integrating it properly,there are few reasons why it won't work properly....I've been through exactly this with my current system,and spent a good bit of time finding the right sub(as far as my system was concerned)and then setting it up properly....the results,as you say,are obvious when it's right...the system gains a almost a couple of octaves at the bottom end,and the pace and rythm are so much better.

My own experience was that a properly set up sub with decent extension at the bottom end works much better in my room,than a full active triamped speaker system,due to much better bass management.

10. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I believe this is the case in most situations. You and I (along with a few others) tried to explain this in another thread, to no avail! :(

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hi there...yes,I remember that one!

Seriously though,my own experience of the 700 series(limited admittedly)and more importantly the 805's is that they really do need a good,powerful amplifier with a lot of reserve,and what I was saying about the 805's being too much for a TAG 100x5 was very obvious when listening,and it was because I knew what was going on that I took them home to try with some proper amps.

The original post I think suggests that the dealer would offer a decent trade-in,and a sub would offer a good way to putting together a very decent system,if chosen carefully.

12. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Smithers.....I'm coming to this a wee bit later (!) but thought I'd add a comment in case you have not already chosen

As you'll see below, I use the 705's with a BK subwoofer.

After much fiddling, buying concrete slabs and what have you I've got them working together in near perfect harmony. Don't be fooked, it will be a hassle for some time until you find the right balance between your sub and speakers.

However, as I'm sure you've realised having listened to them, the 704 have a great deal more weight to them than the 705's.

However, dunno if it's a consideration, but bear in mind that quite a few (myself included) would deam that the sub is essential for AV, as so much info is sent through that seperate channel - sending the lower frequencies to the sub really pas off.

Anyway, good luck with the purchase, if it's not already made.

One final word. Those B&W stands, if you haven't noticed are f. expensive and if bought for other than aesthetic purposes, a bit of over kill IMHO. You may wanna knock them off and get some soundstyle XS 122 and save a few quid, unless the dealer is giving you a cracking deal (circa 100 notes) on the FS 700's