B&W 705 s1 with Rega io

Madsjn

Novice Member
Hello,

I've recently bought the small Rega IO and am very pleased with it so far. I also got a set of B&W 607 S2 which I like a lot, but just saw a pair of B&W 705 being offered at 1/3 the original retail price.

I have to admit I am tempted to go for the upscale version, but not really sure if the 705 (series 1 - almost 20 years old) is that much of an upgrade over the brand new 607 S2's. Would love to hear any thoughts on this.

Also, a lot of review mention the B&W 705 requires a powerful amp, but so does the 607 S2 and the Rega IO seems to be driving those just fine. I had a look at the specs of both amps and they don't look that far apart in terms of sensitivity and resistance (apologies in advance if I'm using these terms completely wrong here - still new to his :)).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

The newer 607s are harder to drive than the older 705s as the 705s have a higher sensitivity rating of 89dB and, according to the specs I've found, only dip to 4.6 ohms. In that case as the 607s are fine in your room the same should be true of the 705s. How good they will be compared against each other is for you to decide.

Madsjn

Novice Member
Welcome to the Forum.

The newer 607s are harder to drive than the older 705s as the 705s have a higher sensitivity rating of 89dB and, according to the specs I've found, only dip to 4.6 ohms. In that case as the 607s are fine in your room the same should be true of the 705s. How good they will be compared against each other is for you to decide.
Thank you for your reply! Yes, I will have to go and listen to them for sure. But it is nice to have the reassurance that they match the amp (in theory at least).

gibbsy

The io is a very good amp, it punches well above it's weight and is quite rightly getting some very good reviews indeed. The Rega signature will fit well with a great many speakers, I run an Elicit-R with KEF speakers and as the io using trickle down components from those higher up amps it's got a great pedigree.

Madsjn

Novice Member
The io is a very good amp, it punches well above it's weight and is quite rightly getting some very good reviews indeed. The Rega signature will fit well with a great many speakers, I run an Elicit-R with KEF speakers and as the io using trickle down components from those higher up amps it's got a great pedigree.
Glad to hear that! That was very much the reason I decided to get it. Also, I just love the simplicity of it - I only use it for vinyl and cd, so it's pretty much perfect for me. Now I just need to decide on the perfect speakers ... :D
Just out of curiosity, which KEF speakers are you running with your Elicit-R?

gibbsy

The old R300s. They are a difficult drive and do need some serious power as they dip to 3.2 ohms. I auditioned several amps with them a good few years ago and the Rega was by far the best. It also has the benefit of HT by-pass and is also included in my surround sound. Absolutely love the amp puts a smile on my face every time I use it for music.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom