1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B&W 704 vs. 805?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rauer, Jan 25, 2004.

1. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Has anybody been able to make a comparison of these B&W speakers? Here (in Finland) they cost the same - excluding the stands needed for the nautilus pair. I'm afraid I can't compare them locally.

I'm suspecting that with a decent sub (Velodyne SPL-1200), the 805 pair would be a better choice. Do you agree? How about 705's?

The speakers would be used in an about 4 x 7 m room, two walls made of concrete. They would be run with a Denon AVR-3803. I know many people think that it's not enough for speakers like this. However, I can't currently use very high volumes and when I finally manage to get a dedicated AV room, I'll probably get a better multi channel amp (like a Rotel RMB-1075).

2. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Im going to get the 704s... love the 700 series, i think they sound awesome - interesting you can get the 805s for the same money.

My concern would be, once you go multichannel are you going to be able to afford the other 800 series speakers to match your front pair...... centre for example. The 700 may integrate well, but i bet you will want the 800 version :)

My plan is to get the B&W asw750 sub wise.... call me old fashioned but i do like a matched stage....

Interesting question though...

Kev

3. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Is there a price difference in the UK, then? The MSRP here is 1000 euros for one B&W 704 and 999 euros for one Nautilus 805. A 705 costs 650 e.

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Why are you comparing the floor-standing 704 with the stand-mount 805? Just because they are in the same price bracket? In order to get a similar bass extension from both speakers you would need to add a sub, as you have already pointed out, to 805s which would obviously push the price up a fair bit.

Having said that, while I liked the 704s I thought the 703s were a definite improvement, vastly so in the bass. Given the specifications that would be hard to guess (40 Hz for the 704s and 38 Hz for the 703s at -3 dB).

Having pondered this for a while I'm going to go for the 703 fronts then add the HTM7 (probably) centre then 705 (which I haven't demoed yet) for rears.

If you can control yourself I would hold off buying any of the N range at the moment as it can't be long until they are replaced with new models and bargins appear.

RE prices yes the 704 and N805 are the same price @ £1400 a pair.

5. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well, sort of yes. In general I like B&W's and the 2k euro level is about where I could go. I realise that I was unclear regarding the sub. I actually already own the mentioned Velo, so it'd not add to the sum. So perhaps the bass range of the bigger 704 would not be needed.

Kevshed's comment on buying a whole setup of nautilus (nautiluses, nautili?) is valid. Personally I'm not sure that the rear speakers are as vital as the front three and I've been planning on trying if the old B&W 570's from my secondary system would do.