B&W 703 s2 5.1 which AV reciever

Tristan45

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy Denon 4500 or arcam 390 or 550,which one guys

It's a very personal preference.... I'd buy a Marantz SR7012/13 over the Denon (in fact I did!)

Neither of the Arcam units support HDMI 2.1 which means a limited level of future proof (it may not be significant)

I'd throw a NAD T758 v3 in to the mix to be honest as well... though again that isn't HDMI 2.1 compliant.

All will work with your speakers and sound good but you'll likely only get personal preferences! Try and hook up a demo at Sevenoaks and listen to all and go from there?

Are you looking at music as well as surround sound? I would say if you stretch to the Arcam AVR550 then that would be the obvious model however at that price point it does open you to the like of the baby Anthem MRX520, the Denon AVR-X6500H plus the Marantz SR-8012

For music, I would still say the bigger Arcam comes out on top and as for the Anthem v Marantz, I've heard many differing comments with as many people preferring Marantz over Anthem nowadays. If it's cinema alone, you cannot ignore the Denon 6500 as for cinema alone, its a beast and will enjoy bringing your speakers to life.

Don`t forget the flagship Yamaha A3070 which some members here have favoured over AVR550, Denon X4400H, NAD T758 V3. @fallinlight 45% off from RRP. You won´t really lose anything special to A3080 (1800£) either.

Denon X4500H is overpriced at the moment (1200£), normally it would cost 799£ at this point of year being old (2018) model. Few weeks ago it was 999£, but dealers can raise the prices as there is no new model for this year. I would wait black friday or christmas deals if going with that one. Marantz SR7013 costs 1500£ as last year at this time it was around 850£ (7011?).

Thanks guys,I can wait till Black Friday,which ones of these are most future proof?

Hello, yes I prefer the A3070 over the AVR550 for multi-channel surround sound. AVR550 for music. But the A3070 is good enough for me for stereo music and a very capable performer in this regard. The AVR550 is stereo heaven for me, though and I cannot see the need (never heard one in my room, mind) for a dedicated stereo amp for music if you have the AVR550.

After the issues I have had with receivers (not liking Audyssey at all - I felt it robbed too much of the speakers natural response and room sound like Dirac, NAD T 758 V3 (my unit and the store unit) having a constant irritating and ear damaging high pitched whine, finding the A3080 OSD and remote a step down from the A3070's and frustrating to use) you would have to pry the A3070 and my Anti-Mode 8033-SII from me, and I fear when I eventually need to switch receivers for processing/ video/ audio format support. I am hoping Yamaha keeps things tight and steady with their Adventage line-up and just keeps improving on what they currently have. It will be hell for me if they ever introduced Dirac into their AVRs, though highly doubtful someone told me.

I found the Denon X4400H poor in comparison to the A3070, the audio fidelity and soundstage of the A3070 I find far superior. Again XT32 gave me a headache and I found it overcompensating and sucking the midrange out of my sound, even with midrange compensation off. I could also never dial in clear treble, which also sounded processed and veiled. And the AVR550, as above, and a steep learning curve which was good to learn and gain experience with. But everything I threw into it could not make me like the multi-channel sound. I also found the overall sound quite processed in comparison to my A3070. I was told that a major element of what I did not like about it, the veiled sound, especially from surround channels, was due to the current version of Dirac.

I think the A3080 is a complete waste of money at the price it was when I owned it a month or two ago. In essence the A3070 is exactly the same receiver minus a few connections/ plus some more.

@Tristan45, apart from my last point about the A3080 and A3070, ultimately I really do not think you should listen to anything I just said and try and hear things for yourself. Otherwise, just take it with a pinch of salt like anyone else's experience.

@ShanePJ, sorry, I did receive your last message but have not got around to reading it yet.

Best wishes,

fallinlight

Last edited:
Thanks guys,I can wait till Black Friday,which ones of these are most future proof?

New Arcam line has now been announced so expect some reductions on the current line at some point.

Sorry, I am not sure which AVR is most future proof. But from my experience and others I know, the Arcam was the flakiest, but stable enough once set up in the short time I owned it.

Denon X4500H is overpriced at the moment (1200£), normally it would cost 799£ at this point of year being old (2018) model. Few weeks ago it was 999£, but dealers can raise the prices as there is no new model for this year. I would wait black friday or christmas deals if going with that one. Marantz SR7013 costs 1500£ as last year at this time it was around 850£ (7011?).

Pricing on AVRs in the UK at the moment is utterly terrible and shameful. Yes, @Gasp3621, and the A3080 was cheaper around this time last year - you can see from old posts on AVF. Also, vendors will normally hike the prices up in advance (there is a law against the time they can do it I believe) of Black Friday. Makes you think you got a good deal. But the price was either always the same as before, or at some point before it. I believe the best deal you can get is purchasing used or haggling directly with the vendor, I have found that even then, good discounts are never given.

The most future proof are the HDMI 2.1 models.... so not the NAD, not the Arcams you have mentioned.

Denon, Marantz and Yamaha are better in that respect but don't hold their value as well as the others. It's a tough call. I reiterate my point on personal choice though... the Yamaha models sound quite dull and flat to me. They're certainly not bad amps but make sure you buy what is right for you!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom